Thursday, May 26, 2011

Spiritual Warfare

“Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power.  Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes.  For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.  Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand.” Ephesians 6: 10-13

Today I begin my research and writing on a subject I wish I could avoid: spiritual warfare.  C.S. Lewis declared that the worst six months of his life were during his writing of The Screwtape Letters.  This book concerning the ways of spiritual warfare and the “devil’s schemes” is a classic on the subject.  If he has such a difficult time, what can I expect?

Well for starters, as I began to compose my notes on the markers of an authentic spiritual walk and I began to think of the role of spiritual warfare, I was awakened three nights in a row by horrible nightmares.  The final one about a serial killer stalking my family was particularly blood chilling.  I am blessed with some health issues and a clean conscience that makes me sleep like a rock.  I almost never dream.  I have not had a nightmare in years.  Three days in a row?  I do not believe it is a coincidence.  Last night, I had M.E. pray for me before I feel asleep and I had a good restful night’s sleep.  I praise the Lord for this, as I really need my sleep!

I do know that in this world, we sometimes see glimpses of the spiritual realm, though most of us do not know what we are really seeing.  In other parts of the world, spiritual warfare is much more intense and out in the open.  In America and the West, it is much less visible though just as prevalent.  The truth is, we live in a spiritually alive universe.  There is only one God, and His power, majesty, and sovereignty are not in question.  The evil one is not another God, though he seeks to take God’s rightful glory.  He is a usurper who steals glory and praise not due him.  He is a fallen angel given the earth as his home range  until Christ comes back to set all things aright.  He lives on a short lease: a lease held by the sovereign Lord.  He has under his command an assortment of fallen angels (demons) who seek to destroy God's work and Kingdom.  We know that these evil beings will not prevail!  Yet, in this life, we need to be aware that we have an enemy seeking both our destroy our life and to keep us out of Kingdom work.

With this in mind, will you my readers take time to pray for me as I think through, write, and blog on this topic?  Specifically, would you pray that the Lord will protect my walk with Him, my family, and my Church.  Please pray that He will give me clarity as to what the scriptures say on the subject.  Joining with Paul’s words, please pray that I be strong in the Lord and in His mighty power.  Pray that I would put on the armor of God, which is Christ’s righteousness, so I can take my stand against the devil’s schemes.  Pray for clarity of mind to write well and quickly.  Pray that I would cut through the many knots found in this subject to compose something worthwhile and helpful.  As Jesus told us to pray, ask the Lord to “not lead Dr. Greg into temptation, but deliver him from the evil one.” (Matt. 6:13)

The first lesson in spiritual warfare is not to ignore it.  It is real.  The evil one does not desire for the lost to be found and for light to shine into the darkness.  When the kingdom of God advances, the evil one is right there trying to take glory from God by diverting attention, causing division, and counterfeiting an authentic work of God. 

The second lesson in spiritual warfare is that prayer is our primary weapon.  Pray.  Ask for God’s help.  Ask for others to pray.  Claim the promises of scripture (our only other weapon!), and walk humbly with God.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the specific prayer suggestions. Will do! I am excited to see how the Lord will use your research and writing to further His kingdom!

    ReplyDelete