Monday, May 16, 2011

Bull, Cow, and a Day

Typically Mondays are my days of recovery.  I lose about fifty IQ points, and I struggle to get out of my own way as I decompress from a busy Sunday.  Today, I did not have time to feel weary.  I got up early, went looking for a trailer to pick up a horse/livestock trailer, and headed north with my buddy Mike to pick up two new Highlanders.  We drove through the rain and to the farm where my bull and cow awaited.  They had a great cow shoot made and the cows in the barn.  The only problem is that the Highlanders did not want to get on the trailer.  After twenty minutes, the cow named Cowpens went straight up.  She loves sweet feed, so placing it in the trailer made her easy.  Maximus, the Bull, did not want to get on the trailer.  It took over two hours to get him up the ramp and ready to go.  I called home and had the family pray.  We talked softly, pushed him gently, pushed him hard, gave him food, tried to lead him to more food, tried wratch-it straps behind him, and everything we can think of.  Nothing worked.  Finally, we got a small skid-steer in the pen and pushed him on the trailer.  Once there, he rode great.

Now the very pregnant cow and Maximus are residents of God Provides Farm.  He was so excited to see the three new females.  All he did for three hours was follow them around smelling.  It is good to be the King.  I am thankful for good friends to travel with, a borrowed trailer and truck to haul the animals, and for a great place to keep them.  I hope to write something a bit deeper tomorrow, but I can say that I enjoyed God's grace throughout the day.

1 comment:

  1. The coolest thing about this post is that it wasn't "deep." I don't necessarily get "deep." You know what I do get? And the one thing that gives me the greatest, deepest guidance for how to live?

    "I called home and had the family pray."

    In that once sentence is all the wisdom on grace I'll ever need. (At least for today.)

    ReplyDelete