Saturday, May 21, 2011

Grace and Life

"The horse is made ready for the day of battle, but victory rests with the Lord." Pro. 21: 31

I am often asked by new believers or those not quite yet believers how to understand the Bible.  They also ask where to start.  I point them to the gospels so they can encounter Jesus, and I encourage them to read a Proverb each day.  There are 31, so one per day for a month works out great.  I have read a chapter in Proverbs each day for almost 20 years, and they still do not get old.  In fact, I find much practical wisdom in their pithy statements of general truth.

Today's Proverb that struck me as important is found in the end of chapter 21.  As I was reading through them, this one jumped off the page.  In prayer, I asked the Lord, what does this mean?  I was reminded of the busyness of this week.  I have not been stressed or overloaded.  I have just not had time to sit, think and write.  I have moved from one appointment or activity to the next all week.  I am thankful for each opportunity.  In other words, I am not complaining about doing too much, but I did not get much writing and thinking done.  Still, I believe the Lord used me in building His kingdom this week as I interacted with many.

So, what did I learn as the Lord brought this to mind?  First, He has prepared me, like a well-armored war horse for writing and the ministry.  I praise Him for this!  Yet, completion of writing, thinking, and a book will be by His blessings, not my great preparation or abilities.  In fact, without His help, I can assure you I will not blog well, write well, or ever finish a book!  My victory rests with the Lord.

I have learned this lesson many times, but I have to keep learning it.  Friends, our success in life or in coping with difficulties rests not in our strength- not even our "spiritual" strength and knowledge.  It rests in Jesus working in and through us, by His grace, to equip us, strengthen us, and empower us to be His witnesses in the world.  His power and grace comes as we repent of our self-effort and ask Him to work in and through us for His glory.

Second, I was challenged to remember that a grace-filled life must be a God-centered life.  It is not about me nor what I can do.  It is about the Lord and His grace working through a cracked and frail earthen pot!  May He receive the glory.  I thank Him for a busy week even as I apologize for not writing more.  By His grace, next week will be better!

No comments:

Post a Comment