Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Getting Started- a disclaimer!

I am a sinner in desperate need of the grace of the Lord.  I am a man who has purposely been learning how to follow Christ for over twenty years.  I often find that I fail in my pursuit.  Thankfully, Jesus never fails in his pursuit of me!  I am a man who has slowly learned the art and life-style of following Jesus.  I am not a super-saint or even a good role-model.  My primary qualification is that I know the One to whom we all must rest.  My hope is that this blog and my writing will point people to the authentic grace and mercy found in a relationship with Jesus.

This blog is a long-time in coming.  In fact, my writing anything worthwhile is a long-time in coming.  I have been encouraged for years from students, congregation members, and the many who have heard me speak to write.  I have been reluctant.  Why?  I do not exactly know.  Fear of failure?  Fear of it taking too much of my time?  Fear, fear, fear.  In other words, I am much like most who will read this!  Yet, perfect love drives out fear (1 John 4: 18), and by grace I seek to gain a wider audience- to gain a louder voice- so I can point more people to the grace and mercy I have found.  May the Lord Jesus bless the time, the writing, and each of us as we grow in grace together.

So, who am I and what do I have to say?  I am the lead pastor of a church in Maine, Grace Bible Church.  I am the husband of a great woman and the father of five children.  I am the lover of God's creation, and I live on a hobby farm complete with Highlander cattle, Tamworth pigs, and many chickens.  I constantly seek to slow my life down so I can enjoy the presence and grace of the Lord in the moment.  I am not always successful, but I do try!  In terms of education and training, I have been a pastor for 19 years (wow does time fly!).  I have an M.Div with an emphasis in historical theology from Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary, as well as an MA and Ph.D. in Church history and historical theology from Vanderbilt University.  I spent years studying the material at hand before moving to Maine to learn it in practice in the pastorate.  I will try to write ideas informed by years of study, but also seasoned with real life experience.  I hope and pray you join me as we grow in authentic, life-changing grace together!

No comments:

Post a Comment