Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Why did God allow that to happen?

I am often mystified by how God works and why He allows events to happen.  

Days before our trip across America, we were making our final arrangements.  Part of these arrangements was a final check on our van to make sure it was ready for such a long journey.  The problem with mechanical things is they break.  I sure didn't want that to happen while on the road.

So, I scheduled our van to go to the van doctor (my great mechanic) for a check up on Monday, with a planned leaving on Tuesday.  I knew it might cost something, but it needed to be done for peace of mind.

Then, I had one of those "Why God?" moments.  On Saturday evening, I left a party in my honor to pick up one of my sons from a friend's house.  I picked him up, drove back toward the party, and suddenly the van totally died.  Lights were working but no power, no power steering, and it wouldn't start.

I had to have the car towed to my mechanic.  Could not get it done until Monday afternoon.  Car was to be fixed on Tuesday.  Found out the problem was more extensive and would take an extra day, maybe two.  It would be expensive.  It might not be done for three days.

Why did God allow that to happen?  Didn't He know that I had a plan?  I had job inquiries in two places across the country.  I had a schedule to keep.  I had to leave on Tuesday!

Honestly, it sure seemed like God did not care.

At this place, I could either become angry, bitter, and questioning or I could ask, 
"What are you trying to say Lord?"

In my years of walking with God, I have often wondered if He really cares.  Does He really love me and want what is best for me?  Does He really care about all the evil and pain in the world?

I have learned that God cares more than I can imagine.  He loves me with an everlasting love.  He wants what is best for me.  In this case, He allowed my van to break while at home instead of on the road somewhere.  He had plans for these job inquiries beyond my feeble plans.

How do I know this?  The real message of Christmas answers my questions, calms my heart, and proves God's love for me.  

God did not just tell us how to live.  He did not just give us rules to live by with the promise to obey and all will go well.  No, the God of true Christmas did much more than this.

God became flesh and dwelt among us.  Why?  So He would know, experience, endure, and live through all the pain, all the evil, and all the wrong in this world.  Jesus did that for me.  He did that for you.  He did that as a testimony of God's love for the entire world.

No other religion can make this claim.  None would dare.  It is to scandalous; too crazy.  But it is true.  

We live in a fallen world where things break, where evil dwells, where questions remain.  Jesus came to answer these questions, defeat the evil, and love us in our brokenness with the promise to make all things right someday.  He began the building of the Kingdom of God, and we can get glimpses and tastes of this glory now while awaiting his return to finalize His victory.

In other words, God truly loves you.  He loves me.  He loves us.  This is the true meaning of Christmas.  When events occur that we don't understand, it might help us to remember

For my thoughts are not your thoughts, 
neither are your ways my ways, declares the Lord.  
For as the heavens are higher than the earth, 
so are my ways higher than your ways 
and my thoughts than your thoughts.
Isaiah 55: 8-9

No comments:

Post a Comment