Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Remix: Do Dogs go to Heaven?

I am very thankful that this was my fourth most viewed post of 2014.  I am also thankful it comes up  for reposting just before Christmas.  There is nothing worse than the pain of loss during the holidays.  The first holiday with loss is always the worst.  Then, while the pain never goes fully away, it does get a little further away.

This post was from January 22.  I think it is one of the most important ones I have ever written.  It brings tears to my eyes just re-reading it.


Yesterday was a very sad day for me.  It was a sad day for the family.  Our faithful golden retriever, Perseus, died.  I believe I have not been so sad since my dad's death 13 years ago.

In my years of ministry, I have had three different parishioners come to my church because they were grieving the loss of their beloved pet.  I could understand and I offered words of encouragement and prayers for comfort, but I had not experienced it myself.  

It is not like our family had not experienced the death of pets.  We lived on a farm.  We harvested animals, had many barn cats that met unfortunate ends, and even lost a previous dog.

The difference is that we loved this old boy.  He was an awesome, faithful dog.  When we went to pick him out, he came running out to us, picked up a ball, and played with our then two young children.  The breeder was surprised because as other puppies had been picked, Perseus was always laying around and did not engage other families.  In other words, Perseus chose us.

When he got home, he missed his mother so he whined that first night.  We were living in an apartment, and my wife said, "You are the one who wanted a golden retriever, do something."  

I took him and placed him on my chest so he could hear my heart.  He immediately quieted down, fell asleep, and when I awoke in the morning he was still sleeping comfortably.  From that moment on, he was my dog.  

When I left for speaking engagements or travel, he moped and did not eat until I returned.  He slept on the floor beside me for 13 years.  It took less than 24 hours to house train him, and he would prefer to die of shame than ever make a mess.  He was smart enough that I could point to where I wanted him to do his business, and he would go where I pointed.

I will miss his loving look.  I often shared that men get married so they can see that look of love and devotion in their wife's eyes.  When reality hits and that look stops, they buy a golden retriever so they can have it every day.

He definitely had his quirks.

When he was two or three, lightning hit a tree right behind our home and he got shocked.  From then on, he was not the brave dog of his youth.  He went through most doors backwards.  It was strange seeing an 80 pound dog back up all the time.  He became afraid of loud noises.  He was cautious in new places.  

All of this was ok.  It just made Perseus, Perseus.

We knew he was dying, but when he experienced something catastrophic on Monday, it was still sad.  The end came too soon!  By Tuesday he could not walk.  He did not whimper or whine.  He just gave me the look of please do something.  I am so thankful that we had a vet come to the house to help with the passing.  He went to his final living sleep while looking at me without the stress of being carried into a vet.  He would have had it no other way.

So, do dogs go to heaven?

I have been thinking about this for years.  I believe that some do and some don't.  Kind of like people.  Some have a good heart.  Some have a self-centered and cruel heart.

I think C.S. Lewis was onto something when he portrayed Narnia as populated with animals.  Some have trusting and good souls and some do not.  God knows.  He judges them accurately.

I know that my life was better because I loved this dog and he loved me.  I anticipate that on my dying day, I will be met by Jesus, those who have gone before me that I loved dearly, and a young, unafraid Perseus.  They will be my greeting party.  As I feel the loss so keenly now, I look forward to that day.

Farewell for now my friend.


This Monday


With our now five year old Lily in the background





Not so sure about the water!  He was a strange retriever!


Helping Lily feel welcome

No comments:

Post a Comment