Monday, June 4, 2012

Unemployment Reflections

"And I am confident of this, that He who began a good work in you will continue it to completion."
Philippians 1:6

Yesterday was a true blessing for myself and my family.  It was my final day at Grace.  I was not looking forward to it.  In fact, I struggled all week with what to say, and I really did not want to get ready for the day.  I lacked any motivation to "finish" the work God had called me to at Grace.

Why?  I really love the people I have been blessed to serve here in Maine.  I can agree so much with Paul as he wrote to the church in Philippi.  "It is right for me to feel this way about you all, because I hold you in my heart, for you are all partakers with me of grace." (vs. 7)  These folks have loved me and my family with a great love.  I believe we and the Church have grown together in grace and mercy.

Anyway, for all of my foot dragging, it was a blessed and wonderful time together.  The Lord deeply empowered the worship.  During the congregational prayer time, they had our family come up front and kneel while folks came forward, laid hands upon us, and prayed for each of us.  It was another powerful moment.  Then we heard from God's word.  I preached from Philippians 1: 3-11.  It appears that the Word was well received.  Finally we concluded with the celebration of the sacrament of communion.  Through it all, the Spirit moved in wonderful ways.

After worship, we had an excellent time of celebration at the home of one of our parishioners.  There was much food and time of fellowship together.  The church also had a huge tent, but the hard rain and raw wind with temperatures around 50 kept us from enjoying being outside.  Still, nothing could dampen our enjoyment of each other.

We are so thankful for everyone who came to helped us celebrate 8 years of ministry at Grace!  We are thankful for the expressions of love and appreciation that included cards, gifts, and kind words.  By the time we returned home at 4 PM or so, we were all exhausted.  Happy, joyful, but exhausted.

Today I wake up as an officially unemployed pastor!  I have joined the ranks of the Obama recovery!  I know I have a new position I am moving toward next week, but I am currently between positions.  

I have to confess, it feels good on this Monday to be unemployed.  I feel like the Lord confirmed and affirmed that my time at Grace is now past.  He will continue the work I invested in, but my direct investment of time and leadership is now over.  I never would have pictured this a year ago.  Two years ago, I would have thought it impossible.  Now I hope and pray for them what Paul prayed for the Philippians.

"And it is my prayer that your love may abound more and more, with knowledge and all discernment, so that you may approve what is excellent, and so be pure and blameless for the day of Christ, filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ, to the glory and praise of God."
Philippians 1: 9-11

If you wish to hear my explanation of this passage and my "final words" to Grace, check out their website by following this link.  

http://www.graceforme.com/2012/06/growing-in-grace-2/  

No comments:

Post a Comment