Monday, June 11, 2012

Balance, Work, and the Sabbath


It is finally here.  Moving week is firmly upon me!  Today we have folks come and pack the kitchen and all the breakable stuff.  This includes this computer.  Tomorrow the truck will arrive, cart all of our belongings upon it, and then head West.  I have been packing hard for the past couple of days.  Thankfully, I have been packing since May 1, so I only had the last 15% of things to finish this weekend.  

I have a post I need to complete on Cultural Intelligence, but I do not have the time to do it.  So, as I am living a stressed life, I will re-post about stress and trust in the Lord!  Please pray for us as we finish the packing and begin the long journey to the next adventure in life in Seattle.  We do need the prayer!

I have been troubled by a discussion I had last Thursday since last Thursday.  I was at a pastor's breakfast here in central Maine.  One of our well respected colleagues is from India, and he heads a mission to Asia.  We are truly blessed to have him in Maine.  He is probably the only internationally known pastor we have in our region!

It was his turn to lead us in our devotional time.  He was speaking of the "fact" that the word balance was not in the bible.  He was sharing, with a hint of pride, that in Asia, pastors don't take a day off.  They work until they burn out!  He was making the point that in the West, pastors are too concerned for taking care of themselves.  Instead, they should be fulfilling their calling and working.  They should "press on" in the ministry like Paul.

I must confess that I often work long hours.  I like to work.  I like "doing ministry" and I enjoy working with many types of people.  I could see in the breakfast my ministry colleagues who often do not take a day off feeling affirmed.  I know from talking to them that they feel guilty when not working!  I often share that feeling.  There is always so much to do.  There are always tasks that are yet to be completed. How can I just leave them undone?

Given this lack of finished product is the mark of ministry (and most other professions!), why should we not labor until we "burn out" and then take a break?  Since "balance" is not found in the bible, is it really important?

Here is where I was troubled at the meeting, and I remain troubled.  The word balance may not be found in scripture, but the idea of balance is built into the framework of creation.  Where?  How about the creation account and the Ten Commandments!  Look at Exodus 20: 8-11.


"For in six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is a sabbath of the Lord your God; ... for in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea and all that is in them, and rested on the seventh day; therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy."  

Is this rational for the commandment arbitrary?  Of course not!  Here in Exodus, Moses tells us to rest because it illustrates our trust in God.  We can rest assured that the Lord will complete all the work, as He did in creation.  

He is the creator, and He will finish His work.

We follow His example because He is able to finish all his work and make the seventh day holy or set apart.  Why is it so hard for pastors and all work-a-holics to believe this?  

Here is the root of our sin.  We think God could not do without us.  Thus, we have to "help" people because without us, the Kingdom would fall!  Of course this is crazy, but our actions show us what we really believe.  Repent and rest in Christ as the one who builds the Kingdom.  As you find yourselves itching for work, repent and ask for mercy and grace to enjoy the Lord's complete control of the universe.  After all, He made it all!

So balance is built into the created order.  We need a rest weekly!  Not necessarily because we are "tired" but because we are sinners who deny the sovereign control and hand of the Lord.  The Sabbath rest allows us a space to seek repentance and rest from our control issues.  As Jesus tells us, "The Sabbath was made for Man, not man for the Sabbath." (Mark 2:27)  If you labor on Sunday, take another day and set it apart as holy unto the Lord.  Repent of your hard-heartedness which denies that God can and will work without you.  Learn to enjoy Him and rest in His strength.  

Again, as you find yourselves itching for work, repent and ask for mercy and grace to enjoy the Lord's complete control of the universe.  After all, He made it all and He is building His Kingdom!  

No comments:

Post a Comment