Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Calling and the Open Door

Still traveling/moving!  I love heading toward the open door in my life.  I am also glad to be out of the Great American Plains!  May the Lord bless this day.


"When one door of happiness closes, another opens; 
but often we look so long at the closed door 
that we do not see the one which has been opened for us."
Helen Keller

I will share two different posts/quotes I have been given this week.  I find it interesting that when the Lord is trying to tell you something He often repeats it.  At least I have such deaf ears that I need His repeating!

Both of these selections concern the topics of vocation, calling, determining God's will, and joyful living.  I completely agree with Keller that so often I stare at closed doors instead of having the faith to look for what God is opening.  How about you?

The second selection is from Dan Miller's website, www.48days.com from the February 22 post.  This selection is a story I have heard often.  I will let it speak for itself.  I will say that I believe it overlaps perfectly with the Keller quotation because so often as the door is shutting, we keep banging our heads against it demand that it open as we wish.  Where does God fit into such actions?

Here is Miller's post.

Last Sunday night, after speaking at a church, a lady approached me with her question. She was obviously very discouraged with low self-esteem, poor eye contact and overall weak personal presentation.  But her question was – “Why should I keep trying when God keeps closing the door on my calling?”  Wow – now there’s a question designed to stump even a theologian – which I am not.  If God “calls” us to something, wouldn’t He open the doors to make that happen?  Is this like asking if God can make a rock so big He can’t move it?
Frankly, I don’t think her question is that complicated.  I think she needs to take a fresh look at her “calling.”  She said she’s always wanted to be a counselor.  She got a Bachelor’s degree in Psychology and then was rejected from entering graduate school in counseling.  So she spent three years and went deeply in debt to get her Masters of Divinity (MDiv) degree, thinking that would open the door.  She then applied for the graduate counseling program again but was rejected once more.  She took an entry level job with a community counseling agency but was let go after a couple of months.  She told me she has never married, lives alone and has few friends.  I asked her if people were coming to her for her advice and opinion now.  To which she replied – No – that’s why she needed the degrees in counseling.
I think this is a mis-interpretation of “calling.”  If God’s calls us to something there will be affirmation of that in many ways.  If God is calling you to be a musician you will likely already have shown talent in that area and have lots of people telling you to move in that direction.  If God is calling you to counsel or coach, I’m confident people are already telling you their problems and you are surprised by the wisdom you are frequently able to offer.
Yes I do think it requires work and struggle to be effective even in our “calling.”  But I don’t think God “calls” us to something that does not line up with our passions, talents, personality traits and dreams.
– Thomas Merton said:
 “A tree gives glory to God by being a tree. For in being what God means it to be it is obeying Him….  The more a tree is like itself, the more it is like Him….” 
Don’t try to be a rose bush (as good as that may be) if you’re a tree.  Be a great tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment