Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Employment Reflections

Another week has begun and for me another chapter of life is starting.  For the past couple of weeks, we have been moving from Maine to the Pacific Northwest.  We finally arrived last Friday and have been unpacking ever since.  Last night we finally got the internet going.  TV matters little to me.  Internet, now that is important.  Gaining home internet means we are finally here!

As we left Maine, I had someone ask me what I was looking forward to with the new church home.  I must confess I could not think of anything.  As I was leaving all I could think about was what I would miss.  I was already missing the people and the friends I had made over eight years.  I would miss my home.  I know I would miss the New England culture and much of what makes Maine special.  I think that even as I start work and experience the excitement of meeting new people, my family is feeling this loss keenly as they miss their friends and what is familiar.

So what am I looking forward to?  To begin let me give some superficial expectations.  I will enjoy learning about and living in a new culture.  I like learning new things!  I like moving to different parts of the country and I enjoy experiencing and learning different cultural expressions.  I also recognize that one of the things I need to learn about is the immigrant Dutch culture.  The Lord has lead me to work in a Dutch Reformed denomination.  How do these folks see the world?

On Sunday an older gentleman introduced himself.  He had immigrated to Seattle in 1950 from Holland.  He shared how he loved America and Seattle.  He also enjoyed his childhood in Holland.  His children are all highly educated and he loves to read.  He sounds very interesting!

I think immigrants have so much to teach us.  I look forward to talking to him and getting to know others like him.  I also look forward to meeting some of the many Asian immigrants in Seattle and in my local area.  These experiences with immigrants and even different races did not happen in Maine.  Most of the people in Maine are long-time Americans.  Even in my own family, we settled in America in 1734.  There is surely nothing left of European cultural remembrance!

I also am looking forward to taking the gospel into this new culture.  Not just this particular church culture, but the chatty and friendly culture of Seattle and her northern suburbs.  I believe I had learned how to communicate in Northern New England, I now look forward to learning how to communicate in the Pacific Northwest.

A third superficial anticipation is for my family.  I look forward to having them experience something totally different from what they knew the past eight years.  We are now living in a major city.  Within five miles there are more people, more stores, more jobs, more cultural perspectives, more races of people, and more opportunities than could be found in the entire state of Maine.  It will be a shock to them, but it will broaden their horizons.  What amazes me the most is that our house is actually much quieter than our home in the country in Maine!  There is no car noise and I hear nothing from my neighbors.  It is actually so quiet it took me several nights to get used to it.

Most importantly and not superficially, I am looking forward to seeing what God will do with me, with my family, and with this church.  I do not know why, but He called me to this place.  I was not looking for it, but this opportunity sought me.  I was reluctant, but the Lord's Spirit confirmed this is where He wished me to be.  

Honestly, when this leading was settled, nothing else really mattered.  It was then time to sell the farm, the machinery, the animals, and move.  Now all we need is to sell the farm!  Please join me in praying for this sale.

I am not looking at this church as something beyond what it is.  Every church has strengths and weaknesses.  Every church has some problems solved and other issues that need to be addressed.  Every church has people you click with instantly and others to whom you never quite connect.  First Christian Reformed Church of Seattle will be no different.  I will experience five years of getting to know these strengths and these issues, but I know they will be there!

Yet, I look forward to a new pastorate with anticipation.  This church is a local expression of the universal bride of Christ.  She is beautiful.  I pray to have eyes to see the beauty!  I am also thankful that the Lord has called me to this place.

No comments:

Post a Comment