Wednesday, August 12, 2015

When God's Word Comes Alive

Why is it so hard to convince folks to read the bible so they can get to know God?  I am aware that changing habits is difficult, but I am constantly surprised when I talk with "mature" believers who do not read the word of God and pray daily.  If that is you, don't despair but let's make a plan to get you growing into the Word of God.

First let me offer some words of confession.  

I know that the bible can be a confusing and huge book for those not familiar with its contents.  When people talk of reading the bible, they often approach it like a novel.  They pick up the book and they start reading in Genesis.  Yet, the bible does not read like a novel.  It is only natural to ask, who are these people?  It is natural to observe that their traditions are strange.  In fact, it is logical to ask what does this mean?

Here is what I have seen often.  By the time many observant folks get to the middle of Exodus (if they make it that far), they are bored, confused, and ready to give up the whole book.  They might not tell others their difficulty, but they do have their minds made up.  In many ways, I do not blame them.  While I love Genesis, these OT stories without their redemptive content make little sense.

What can be done?

I suggest that a new believer, a not quite-yet-believer, or a believer who struggles to get into the bible should start somewhere other than Genesis when they begin to learn about the bible.  All of the scriptures are useful, but some of them require some background knowledge before their true message can be understood.  Do not let this discourage you.  Start by getting some of that background knowledge

First and foremost, start reading in the gospels- 
Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John at the beginning of the NT.  

In these books, an honest reader will encounter the person of Jesus.  Read a chapter.  Take your time and ask the Lord to give you wisdom as to what the message means.  The bible is not a novel to be finished, but a message from God to be listen to and transformed by.  Read and think of your life. Ask God for wisdom.

After reading in the gospels, I encourage folks to take some time to pray.  

I remember the first time I engaged in this pattern.  I closed by eyes and began to tell God all about my concerns.  I prayed for everyone and everything I could think of.  When I finished, I had prayed for only 5 minutes!  I have heard stories of folks praying for hours.  How is this possible?

I have since learned that prayer is not just me telling God about my concerns, but also learning how to listen.

This is the point where the scriptures come alive.

As I read the gospels, I ask God for wisdom.  When thoughts come to mind, I pray about them.  I ask for wisdom with people and situations.  I also find that ideas and thoughts come to mind from the scripture that help me get perspective.  Often this perspective concerns my heart and attitude.  I find the bible to be a great mirror.  As I encounter Jesus, He often uses the Word of God to drive me to repentance.  I see my failings.  I repent of these failings, and I look to Him for mercy.  Praise be to God, He gives it!  This love poured out to me, which is the gospel promise, then allows me to see others differently.  It gives me new perspective.  It gives me love to give to others.

I also find that God will use the scriptures to encourage me as I have made good choices.  He uses His word to give me an insight before I encounter something unexpected in a day.  In other words, God's word is active in the life of those who seek Him and His wisdom.  Please seek Him and His wisdom.

I will conclude by stating that God's word is life-changing.   Please don't neglect it. 

I implore you to pick it up and read it reflectively.  It will change your life as you read it asking the Lord for wisdom.  As the writer of Hebrews states, 

"For the word of God is living and active,
sharper than any two-edged sword,
piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow,
and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart."
(Heb 4:12)


No comments:

Post a Comment