Monday, August 17, 2015

"Life is an unsafe, bumpy logging road and I am riding it all night long."

My family loves the movie Cars.  It is good wholesome family fun when we watch Lightning McQueen, Mater, and all our favorite characters learn about friendship, the importance of slowing down to enjoy life, and all the fun that can happen in a small town.  Each of these points are important, and I am glad the movie reminds us of them.

The title song of this movie was written and performed by Rascal Flatts.  It proclaims, "Life is a highway.  I wanna ride it all night long."  This is a fun "summer-driving" song.  It is one of those songs to crank up on the stereo while driving along a peaceful country road with the windows down.  I sure wish my life always matched this feeling.

Instead of a drive down a peaceful country road, 
I find that my life is more of an off-road driving experience.

I often feel like my path resembles a drive down a seldom used logging trail.  One of those with huge washouts, washboard bumps, and strangely placed obstacles like large rocks and fallen trees.  My going is painfully slow.  I guess I am envious of those folks whose life is always a smooth highway.  (As if they really exist)

It seems to me that the only time my ride is really smooth is when I am sitting still.  I love these times of refreshment and relaxing.  Yet, they are often brief because the Spirit speaks in the midst of them to provoke me onward.  Generally, I then start to move forward on a clearly marked section of the logging road.  Soon there is a bend in the road. As I take the corner, I see that the road immediately ahead angles into a swamp, is rock strewn, and looks to be blocked by recently fallen trees.

How do we not only survive but also thrive on this often bumpy road of life?

This is the million dollar question.  Unfortunately, it is also a question that many well-meaning folks don't answer well.  We try one thing then another.  It looks like none of them work too well.  Finally, we give up trying to answer.  We just hold on or we stop moving forward.

Thankfully, I think there is an answer to this question beyond our cultural attempts to answer.  It is an old wisdom that our culture firmly rejects.  I suggest we do so as a culture and as individuals to our own peril.  I offer several tips to aid in a successful navigation through the logging roads of life.

We must move forward with reference to a solid starting point.

None of our paths are through uncharted territory.  The road of life, the pilgrimage each of us travels, the path we each must choose is charted, marked, and navigated.

By whom?

Our North Star is the One True and Living God who calls us to true life.  Doesn't that sound good?  True life.  True life begins with a trust relationship with the One True and Living God.  This True God is calling to each us.  He beckons us to move forward.  He calls us to something better and more full.  He calls us to learn to walk with Him by faith.  Part of that trust is knowing that He knows the way, and He promises to go with us through even the most difficult places on the trail.

We need wisdom, encouragement, and advice as we travel.

We live in a culture that doesn't value history.  We truly believe it it is old, it is not as good as what we have today.  So, we look to others stuck in the same swamp for wisdom, encouragement, and advice.  We get advice to move right or left, but so often these folks have not traveled through the swamp.  They might be well-meaning, but they lack proper perspective to know how to make it through.

I want to encourage you that there are many people throughout history who can help navigate the difficult sections of our road.  These folks are excellent map-makers.  They may not have had iPhones and the internet, but they had all the temptations and difficulties known to us all.  They have experienced broken relationships.  They have lived through tragedy.  They have been stung by sin's bite.  They have lived through and escaped the swamps and pitfalls along the road.

They can also tell you about the coming smooth road.  These map-makers have experienced the joys of life that each of us long for.  They have fallen in love, had children, enjoyed their friend's company, thought through questions and issues, and enjoyed the small moments in life.  They have experienced great success.  They can show you the way.

Most importantly, these map-makers 
can and will point you to the One who knows your path.  

They will encourage you in the difficult times and the great times.  Why would we want to walk through life as if we are alone?  Why trust in the advice of those stuck in the same place you find yourself?

I strongly encourage you to join with the community of faith throughout all time.  Look, with the community of fellow pilgrims, toward that One True Guide who calls you to something better.  You really aren't alone.  There really are answers and pathways through the difficult times.






No comments:

Post a Comment