Thursday, September 12, 2013

Comfort in the midst of troubles

Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God.  For just as the sufferings of Christ overflow into our lives, so also through Christ our comfort overflows."
2 Cor. 1: 3-5

I cannot believe it is Thursday already!  It has been one of those weeks where I am not really stressed.  In fact, I feel physically and mentally better than I have in years.  I have been constantly in motion and awakened in spirit to God's spirit.   I have not taken the time to write in this blog because I have not really wanted to take the time to write.

Alas, this does not mean that I have not been thinking.  In fact, I probably have been thinking, reflecting, and wrestling too much.  Sometimes when I think I write to clarify.  Sometimes when I think, I have no freedom to write because I am wrestling with God more than thinking about something so I can share.

This week has been a wrestling match.  In fact, I think I have had two or three weeks of wrestling with my Lord.

What am I wrestling with and about?  

Why is there such evil?  Why are we expected to live through and endure such evil?  Moreover, where is God in the midst of my wrestling!?

In other words, I have been wrestling with the questions of Job.  I have again concluded, "Though He slay me, still I will praise His name!"

Thankfully for those struggling with evil, sin, and death, this life is not all there is.  We are made for something more.  We long for it.  As a deer pants for the streams of water, so do I for Thee- the spring of living water.  (what a poor translation!)  All of my crying out against injustice illustrates my longing for the perfect world that is coming, but is not yet here.

All I know is that in this world we will have trouble.  But we (I) should take heart because Jesus has overcome the world! (John 16:33)

After we have endured evil, difficulty, and struggle, we are then able to show compassion, mercy, and love to others who are undergoing the same struggles.

The trick/difficulty comes in knowing the love of Christ that overflows to us in the midst of our struggles.  

Why is this so hard for us to feel, to know, and to experience?  

We lack faith.  Many times we don't really want to know Christ's comfort in the midst of troubles.  Instead, we merely want God to solve our troubles.  

What if solving the issue or question is not God's purpose?

This is a question we rarely have the faith to ask.  It is almost incomprehensible that God would not want to work in a situation the way we wish Him to act!

Like I said, it has been a time of wrestling.  Much time writing in my journal, and not much time reflecting in this space.  I look forward to seeing the fruit God produces from this wrestling.  I can assure you I have no idea what it might be!

May the Lord comfort you in your struggles.  May He meet with you even where you lack faith.  May His comfort work through into you and then out from you to comfort many.


No comments:

Post a Comment