Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Sin, Struggle, and Hebrews 6 and 10


Over the course of a week, I often get very interesting questions.  Here is a great question that deserves a thoughtful response.


And if we stumble, sin intentionally, how is our relationship restored with Christ?

When I sin intentionally, my conscience tells me I don’t have a relationship with Christ, and I quickly spiral from there. This results from the knowledge of me breaking a rule or better said, command.

Heb 10:26 For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,

I often sin willfully, so that verse concerns me. Yet, there is this:

 1John 2:1 My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:

Does my restoration come when I confess my sins? What about my guilty conscience?

How would you respond?

Here are my thoughts.  First and foremost, it is important to identify the different questions posed here.  First, how do I restore my relationship with Christ when I sin?  Second, how do I square my sinning with the "clear" command in Hebrews 10?  Third, how do I square passages that warn against sin with passages that affirm security in Christ?  Fourth, what about my guilty conscience?  How do I deal with it?

All of these are great questions, and I think many folks struggle with them.  There is nothing to fear from questions and struggling with apparent contradictions is a good thing.  I will begin by affirming that I believe there are clear answers to each of these questions, though my answers will not satisfy every branch of Christianity.  That being said, here are my thoughts:

1.) Because of the fall, we will struggle with sin our entire life.  Even mature believers struggle with sin.  Why?  The root cause of sin is our lack of faith/trust in God.  This lack of complete dependence causes us to walk independently of Jesus, and it leads to a variety of outward sins.  As 1 John tells us, "It we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us.  If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness."

So, how do we deal with sin?  Confess it.  Declare the truth.  Repent of it and ask God to forgive and purify us from our unrighteousness.  Second, believe that Christ really does love you.  This grace is real for you.  His mercy is for you.  Even when you do not feel it, even when you feel filthy in your sin, ask for grace to believe!  In fact, confess that your unbelief is so deep that you doubt He could love you.  Ask for mercy and grace.

2.) I do not think the passage in Hebrews is as clear against the sin of believers as the NIV lets on.  This passage and the book of Hebrews is rather difficult to interpret and translate.  The word/phrase is "after we have received the knowledge of the truth."  When do we receive knowledge of the truth?  What does this mean?  I think this passage is directly related to another very difficult passage found in Hebrews 6: 4-6.

It is impossible for those who have once been enlightened, who have tasted the heavenly gift, who have shared in the Holy Spirit, who have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the powers of the coming age, if they fall away, to be brought back to repentance, because of their loss they are crucifying the Son of God all over again and subjecting him to public disgrace.

Like I said, a tough passage!  What does this mean?  How are we enlightened?  Is this for those who are believers who fall away?  Does this mean that we can lose our salvation?

I think both of these passages are warnings to make sure that you really believe in Jesus.  As the old saying goes, "Going to church does not make you a Christian any more than going to McDonalds makes you a hamburger."

This is a warning for those who attend church, who taste of the goodness of the Spirit in worship and fellowship with others, who witness the wonderful power of God; and yet, who do not really trust in Jesus for life and salvation.  Such a state can lead to incredible hardness of heart that is antithetical to repentance.  They have seen and experienced the truth, but they have not trusted it.  To these folks, beware!  Make you salvation secure by repenting of your hard-heartedness and trust in Jesus for salvation.

3.) How do we square the passages that affirm our need to pursue faith with those that stress security in Christ's love?  Both are true.  Both are necessary.  In fact, I think many who profess faith in Christ should ask themselves if Christ is the only hope and the basis for their life.  Are you trusting in Him or in yourself and your morality?  People go to church for many reasons.  Is your reason because you know that Jesus is the only true Lord and that you need Him and want to see His Kingdom grow?

That being said, if you know that Christ is your only hope and you trust in Him for salvation and life, if your life is marked by knowledge of sin which leads you to repentance and despair of self-effort and self-righteousness, then know that God loves you.  Preach this gospel truth to yourself.  Ask for grace to believe it.  

When the Spirit points out your sin, repent/confess the reality of your unbelief and ask Jesus to change your heart.  Cling to the promises like 1 John 2:1.  Remember there is "no condemnation for those in Christ Jesus." (Romans 8:1)  Ask for grace to believe what God declare to be truth.  Join with others in worship and fellowship to remind you of this truth.

4.) As I see the biblical teaching, a true believer's relationship with God is secure in Christ.  Yet, our fellowship with God is broken when we walk in willful sin.  Fellowship is found as we walk in repentance and faith.  The Holy Spirit constantly works to bring us to this place, and He will pursue you through a guilty conscience when we sin.  Sin is harmful to us, and God loves us so much He desires for our health, not our death.  Thus, He points out sin to bring us to repentance and faith in Christ alone so as to cleanse us from our sin and its effects.  Sometimes He quickly transforms our hearts and desires.  Sometimes He walks with us as we struggle with deep-seated sin patterns.  Just know that He still loves us!

In other words, when we sin, we need to repent and then believe the promises are true for us.  Jesus does love us and He offers help.  Ask Him to help you believe.  As Thomas said, "I believe Lord, help my unbelief!"

One item I must address before I quit for the day from the original questions.  The writer stated, "When I sin intentionally, my conscience tells me I do not have a relationship with Christ, and I quickly spiral from there."  Do you hate your sin and know that Christ is your only hope for salvation?  Do you believe He could and does love you?  If you do, then it is not your conscience, but a lie from the evil one what says the opposite of what scripture declares.  Reject the lie outright.  You have a secure relationship with Christ and as you repent of your sin, the Holy Spirit restores your fellowship with Jesus.  Ask for grace and mercy to believe the truth. 

This post is getting very long, so I will stop for now.  I do hope this helps clarify what can be seen as a difficult balance!

No comments:

Post a Comment