Thursday, June 20, 2013

Heart Re-ignition


Be still, and know that I am God.
I will be exalted among the nations,
I will be exalted in the earth!
Ps. 46:10

This has been a week of firsts for me.  On Monday my oldest son graduated from high school.  This would not be a big deal for me personally if I would have had my first child at 12, but alas this is not the case!  How did I get so old!

I have had time to reflect upon this question and many others as one of the chaperones for my son's Senior trip.  It has been great to watch the kids interact and enjoy each other's company.  I do not think my senior class would have done the same!  We are only one year at this school, so I do not know the kids like other chaperones.  The good news is that this leaves me with more time to reflect, be silent, and pray.  I was also praying for three good spiritual direction conversations on the trip, and the Lord has blessed me with these conversations.

I so enjoy having time to be silent!  I truly talk too much.  It is part of my job.  It is my reality with six children.  To hear the waves against the shore and be silent, this is golden.

I have said it before, but I will repeat.  The desert fathers often spoke about how when we open our mouth, the flame of the Spirit escapes.  Their suggestion was to shut your mouth, be still before God, and allow the Spirit to re-ignite the flame.

This is so hard in our 24//7/365 world.  We are never further than our phone away from the busyness and noise of our world.  Unfortunately, most of us prefer the noise to dealing with our inner reality.

How is the flame of the Spirit in your life?  Do you have a flame or merely smoldering embers?  Do you wonder if even the embers have any life?

Ask the Spirit to re-ignite the flame within!  Your responsibility with this re-ignition (or first ignition) is to be still before the living God.  Be honest.  Be repentant.  Look upon Jesus in faith and see His mercy and love.

Tend to the inner fire.

Make a plan this week to have a day, a morning, an hour where you consciously talk less and listen more.  May the Lord fill this time so as to re-ignite the flame of true life!

Lord have mercy upon us and show us Your beauty so our hearts will be captured by You.  May our trust and rest flow from a deep-seated knowledge that "You are God!"

No comments:

Post a Comment