Thursday, November 1, 2012

Prayer Needed!


“Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power.  Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes.  For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.  Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand.” Ephesians 6: 10-13

Today is my 323 post.  Through it all, I have written about what I am reading, what I am thinking about, and what I think needs to be said.  I have enjoyed seeing people in at least ten countries (only he top ten are listed) reading each day.  I have been amazed at the e-mails and notes from people I have never met.  I thank you all for reading!  We serve a great God.  I am thankful this blog has been helpful to many.

One purpose of my writing was to help me develop the skills needed to write often and well.  For years I have felt called to write for the Church.  Yet, I felt I lacked the ability.  I had learned to write technical and scholarly material, but how do you write so people can read and understand?  In writing two pages 20 times a month, I have gained in experience.  It is far easier to write and to compose my thoughts.  I hope my writing is also more readable!

For the past couple of months I have been looking through my writing to see what topics truly interest me.  Years ago I received some great advice concerning graduate school.  I was told to write a journal about what I am thinking about.  Keep a record.  As time goes on, look back over it to see themes that keep coming to the surface.  From these themes, develop a topic for a dissertation.

This process sort of worked for me.  At least I finished a dissertation!  (I had to change topics because my advisor left, but I retained the same theme)  I started this journal to help me do the same thing with writing for the Church.  I can see that I have three different book topics already prepared through this writing.  I am deeply interested in a Gospel-centered Spirituality.  I also have a passion for both individual and corporate renewal and revival.

Last month I put the outline together for my book on Gospel-centered spirituality.  I think it is a sound outline.  I went about the task of gathering material for each chapter.  I have filled several file folders with notes on each chapter.  I am almost prepared to write this book!

The problem is that I have too much material on one topic- Gospel-centered Spiritual Warfare. I kept looking it over and thinking I could chop some out, condense, focus the material to make it fit.  As I prayed about it, I felt the Lord confirm this is where I need to start.  Don't re-invent the wheel for the first book!  Write about the topic you have been studying for two years.

With that in mind, I really need your help!  Last fall I wanted to start this book, but I got totally beat up spiritually, mentally, and emotionally.  I had a horrible month as I worked through the topic.  The evil one and his cohorts do not want to be exposed.  They also do not wish that believers know their schemes.  As I write, I will be a special object of their attacks.  This makes me not want to start!

I know I am not alone in this problem.  C.S. Lewis shared that the worst six months of his life were during his writing of The Screwtape Letters.  In this short book, Lewis describes the "devil's schemes" to bring a soul away from God.  It is a classic on the subject.  Lewis was a major Christian writer.   If he has such a difficult time in his life and writing, what else could I expect?

Please join me in praying for God's protection and grace as I write.  Pray for peace and purity in my life, the life of my family, and the life of my church.  Pray for the Lord's hand to be upon me and my family as I write.

I also ask that you pray for God's wisdom and grace to guide my thoughts and writing.  This topic is broad and the writing on the topic is full of strange twists and turns.  Please pray that I avoid these strange tangents!  

Pray that I write with clarify, power, grace, and a gospel-centered approach to an important but neglected topic.

As the month of November progresses, I will be posting material concerning the nature of the gospel and its relationship to spiritual warfare.  I pray that the Lord uses it to bring glory to Himself.

No comments:

Post a Comment