Friday, July 6, 2012

Struggles with Striving and Being Still

Be still, and know that I am God.
I will be exalted among the nations,
I will be exalted in the earth!
Ps. 46:10

I awoke early this morning with this verse ringing in my mind.  I just kept hearing it over and over.  "Be still and wait."  I got up, made some coffee, wrote down the experience in my journal, and then have puzzled over what it means for the past two hours.

I know this fact well: I do not like to be still!  I am a person of action.  My mind is often working on three problems at once, and I find I am moving much more than I am ever still.  This message is hard for me.  I have often held to the promises of the Psalm, but I must confess I struggle with being still.

Have you noticed that none of the Psalms tell us to "Strive for me, because without you, I the Lord God would not achieve My purposes"?  I have read them many times, but I have not found this message.  Yet, my heart believes "strive for me" much easier than it believes, "Be still and know that I am God."

How about you?  Where are you on a scale between "strive for me" and "be still"?

Surely our hearts often run against trust, rest, and being still be our God.  We so often make it all about us!

Lord have mercy upon us and show us Your beauty so our hearts will be captured by You.  May our trust and rest flow from a deep-seated knowledge that "You are God!"




No comments:

Post a Comment