Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Haying, Economic disruptions, and approaching Fall

As I write a cool, damp breeze blows through my cracked window.  I think I might need to get rid of the shorts for a day and move to pants!  After almost two months of heat and humidity, it feels cold.  Yes, fall is coming quickly!

I love living in the far North.  Here it is wise to prepare for winter before winter arrives.  In the past month, I have finished my fire wood preparations and I have put up almost all the hay I need for a winter.  I have even had some extra hay, so I was able to sell it to pay my hay gathering expenses.  We have seen the harvesting of some of our cattle, and I have two pigs that will find a home in someone's freezer soon.  We are preparing for a fall of travel and laboring at pastoring and writing.  Even as I write, I feel a smile come to my face because I believe we are prepared.

Throughout the time of our weather pattern change in Maine, the world-wide culture and economic news has also been rapidly changing.  As I sit on my tractor, I have plenty of time to think about it all.  Riots in London, Israel, Wisconsin, and Philly.  Social unrest and class warfare rhetoric promoted from the top and bottom of the power structures.  My dollar is worth less and less at the grocery store.  Money is tight not just for me, but for almost everyone I talk to.  Most do not have a fear of the future, but a pessimistic dread.  Our underlying question is how do we prepare for the future?  Winter preparations we can handle.  How do we prepare for 10 or 20 years from now given our current situation?

I sure wish I had answers to these questions.  I like to prepare and to think through possibilities.  I have a mind and gifting that allows me to see potential scenarios.  I often can plan accordingly.  Now, there are so many variables in play that seeing what the social and economic landscape will look like in 10 years is virtually impossible.

Perhaps our biggest problem now in the world is that we think we should be able to see and plan out our future.  We do not leave much room for change and for the direction of the Lord.  Can you imagine the life of a third century believer in Greece?  The political situation could change quickly and you could lose your business or your life by decree at any moment.  What do you do?  How do you react?  Do you look for a new country to move where it will be safer?  No, this is almost impossible.  Do you hide away your money?  How?  No, you recognize the risk and you live your life with your God, enjoying your family, and laboring to create and be productive.

Things may change.  They might even change rapidly.  Welcome to the world of the farmer, the merchant, and the politician throughout all of history.  Sometimes these changes mean that fortunes are lost, homes destroyed, and families torn apart.  Welcome to the world as most know it and as most have lived for all of human history.  How did people cope?  For those who know God, they cling to the promises of Hebrews 13:8 "Jesus is the same yesterday, today, and forever."  They live like they are eternal in a superficial and transitory world.

Prepare for the future by walking humbly with your God.  We might be approaching a cultural winter.  So what?  Even if we are really approaching a new and glorious spring, so what?  The money you make, the retirement you plan for, the life you in-vision all will pass away quickly.  We so much long for security.  It is only found in direct relationship with the living God.  Repent of your desire for control.  Believe in the one who made you and who desires what is best for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment