Thursday, August 25, 2011

Growing Through Trials


I have an early appointment today, so there is little time for thoughtful blogging.  I will repost a blog from the past.  May the Lord bless the use of it!

"Consider it pure joy, my brothers, wherever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance.  Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.  If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you." James 1: 2-5

Today I began a look at James in my devotional reading and prayer time.  I was immediately struck by this first passage in the entire book.  Why would I consider it joy when I face trials?  Like most of us, I avoid trials and I complain when I am in them!  How can I consider it joy?

I have to say that the past year and a half have been a time of trial for me.  I have seen betrayal in ministry, disappointment in my personal life, began to suffer from irritating health issues, and I have listened to a nagging string of condemnation from the Evil One.  As the time of trial began, I complained to God.  I knew I was innocent, or at least not directly causing any issues, so why did I have to go through them?!  Have you ever been there?

As weeks turned into months, I began to ask God different questions.  Lord, what do I need to learn from this?  What are you doing?  What do I need to see?  I think this is the process that James describes in this passage.  Finally, I began to ask for wisdom.  I also began to grow and develop as a person in different directions.  I must admit that the change was slow and at times imperceptible.  Still, I can now see how God was changing me.  As I persevered through the trials, I developed a new level of maturity.  I know I am still lacking in much, but I thank God for allowing me to develop and be transformed by His grace.

I share this experience because I wonder how God has worked to shape each of my readers?  Trials promote humility or bitterness.  Which one marks your life?  Trials promote an attitude of blaming God and turning away from a walk with Him or trusting him more (perseverance in our faith).  Which one marks your life?  I am thankful for His faithfulness that He did not allow bitterness and unbelief to dominate my life.  I know that the only true anchor and rock is my Lord and my God!  Not because I declare it or believe it, but because it is true.

The next few sentences of James are very interesting, and even this morning I puzzled over them.  "But when he asks, he must believe and not doubt, because he who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind." vs. 6  What does this mean?  It sounds so harsh!  Is this a new idea or part of the past one concerning trials, perseverance, and wisdom?  I believe it is part of the preceding idea. When you ask for wisdom, do not doubt it when you get it!  God will answer your prayer for wisdom, but do not doubt what He is trying to tell you.

I often find that people only move to a different place (spiritually, physically, emotionally, etc.) when pressed to do so.  Most of us would prefer to stay in a bad situation or place because it is more comfortable than the unknown.  Truly a body at rest, stays at rest.  God loves us so much that He knows what is best for us.  He knows our sin tendencies and our hang-ups.  He wants us to grow out of them because they are harmful to us.  He desires a great and promising future for us.  He wants to lead us to this future!  The question becomes will we follow His leading?  Most of the time no.  Thus, trials come to awaken our body at rest.

I think this is the answer to James' thoughts concerning doubt.  We all doubt many things.  This is a natural consequence of our fallen state.  Doubt is a broad category, and this passage is not saying that all doubt is bad.  When doubt leads to questions, it is often good because we will find the answers in Christ!

The key to understanding this passage is in the context of praying for wisdom.  When we pray for wisdom, we should not doubt it when we hear it.  Through God's word, inner impulses and instruction, and most importantly the counsel of others, we can hear God's voice.  When we hear it, often we are like Gideon or Moses and we say, "You have the wrong guy!"  Unfortunately, some of us are not as honest as Gideon and Moses.  We don't talk back to God and question Him.   No, we ignore His leading and voice.  Then, we wonder why trials keep coming and why God does not change our current situation to meet our needs.  

"When we ask, we must believe and not doubt."  God loves us so much that He wants what is best for us.  We are so short-sighted that we simply do not know what is best for us.  In our pride, we think we do, but often we are wrong.  

May the Lord lead and guide each of us.  May we learn to walk with Him through the trials and difficulties that naturally come from living in a fallen world.  May His will be done on earth as it is in heaven for His glory.  Ask for wisdom and believe His love and grace for you!  Who knows what blessings you are missing out on because of your lack of believing.

No comments:

Post a Comment