Monday, June 20, 2011

Wisdom and planning

"Prepare plans by consultation,
and make war by wise guidance" Pro. 20:19

How do we gain wisdom?  I think life does a really good job of teaching us, if we will listen.  Yet, I know many completely non-reflective people who have incredible teachable moments that just pass them by because they do not have eyes to see or ears to hear God trying to break into their life!  How do we hear the voice of the Lord?

First and foremost, we need to be in the Word of God and prayer.  The Word of God is His revealed will to us.  It contains His perfect guidance on life and practice in this world.  If we do not know it, we will stumble like blind men at times!  I add the prayer part because there is a great difference between knowing something and being able to apply what you know.  The prayer part gives us time to listen to God as we talk with Him.  I find it is best to talk with God with His Word open in my lap so as I read, God can impress upon my spirit what I need to know or remember.  

How does this work?  Well, sometimes I am dealing with a particular issue- let's say someone who is hard to deal with.  Let's say they were just plain ornery to me!  I cannot understand why they are difficult.  As I am praying about the situation and reading in the Psalms, I will run into a passage on the "wrath of my enemies."  It is like a light coming on!  The Lord impresses upon my spirit that this person is angry.  I pray for them.  As I pray the Lord guides me to pray for their work situation.  As I talk with the person over the next few weeks, I ask, "How's it going at work?"  They tell me about the unfair treatment they are receiving from their boss.  See, the issue wasn't that they were mad at me.  They were struggling.  If I had not taken time to pray about it with the Word of God open, I might have handled it in a totally different manner!

It seems to me that we rarely have the same situation twice.  Yet, we have God's principles and Word that are eternal.  Taking what we know, or what we should know, and applying it is the heart of wisdom.  When we mess it up, which will happen all too often, we need to repent, talk with God about, reflect on what went wrong, and ask for wisdom on living the truth better next time.  There is no reason to hide from God or to think we need to do some form of "penance" before we can be right with God again.  Repent quickly, believe the gospel, and move on!

A second way to gain wisdom is to find wise people to ask for advice.  This step is one in which we in the West really struggle.  We are so individualistic that we shy away from asking for advice, particularly from people that are wise!  Even if we get it, some of us are so prideful that we will not take it because we did not come up with it ourselves.  We need to know that God has granted some people a special degree of wisdom.  They can cut to the heart of the matter and help us see what we need to do.  As individuals and churches, we need to locate and encourage these people for leadership!  We should search them out and inquire of their opinions.  Make sure they can explain what they are advising as coming from Biblical principles.  Then listen and try to implement what they recommend.  If we do, even the unreflective among us can walk in wisdom (if we will just listen!).

I will be traveling this week, so my posts may be sporadic.  Please check out old posts.  Also, share his blog with your friends and through your social networks.  May we develop a solid forum for growing in grace together.  Please pray for me as I travel to Michigan, and for my family as they deal with the farm and life in my absence.  

No comments:

Post a Comment