Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Different Pastors, Different Needs

Today I am in Grand Rapids for a denominational orientation with the Home Missions department.  I am excited for the opportunity to see how the CRC (Christian Reformed Church) runs.  I am even more excited to meet the new church planters who are supported by Home Missions.  Why?  I think that church planters and church revitalizers (I am one of these) are the "shock troops" of the kingdom.  These are the folks that God has gifted and called to bring people to faith, to grow churches, and advance the Kingdom of God.  I like meeting these people!  They often have vision and purpose that is both contagious and invigorating.  I look forward to the day.

As I was preparing to leave for the morning (first meeting 10:10), I was think of life as a pastor.  I believe that anyone called to the task can succeed and can fail at the pastorate.  The Kingdom needs all types of people.

First, why can anyone fail?  I believe that anyone can really mess up being a pastor.  No matter how gifted or talented, we can make mistakes that mess up a ministry or church.  Some churches and ministry situation are places and times when no one, no matter how gifted, could succeed.  I often tell folks struggling in these situations that Jesus, Paul, and Apollos all rolled into one could not move that ministry.  Why?  Because some situations are opposed to building the Kingdom of God.  They might have the word "church" on the front sign and there are believers in the place, but the group is now worldly and actually demonically motivated.  If you find yourself in one, do not beat yourself up but move on!

How else can anyone fail?  Let me count the ways... through pride of yourself or a key leader, through laziness, through working too much causing stress, through marriage issues and problems, through community changes, through ... You get the idea.  How we react to changes impacts are ability to stay in a place.  If we react immaturely or with pride, we can fail quickly.

Yet, the pastorate is also a place where anyone can succeed.  You do not need to be engaging or a great orator.  You could be weak with people and counseling.  You might be great one on one, but not able to lead.  You might be a driven leader and orator who runs over people.  I have good news.  There is a church out there for a pastor with any or all of these traits.  There is a place where you can succeed.  The issue is finding that place!  Furthermore, we must be careful that we do not end up in a place that does not use our strengths.  In other words, all of us can succeed if we find the right place where we are appreciated for who we are and where we use our strengths to help people grow in grace.

Today I meet the folks who will succeed in places of difficultly.  If they succeed, they must have vision, leadership abilities, thick-skin, and a heart for people.  Who would not like to meet such people!

No comments:

Post a Comment