Friday, September 4, 2015

Don't Give Up

Then Jesus told his disciples a parable to show them that they should always pray and not give up.  He said:

In a certain town there was a judge who neither feared God nor cared about men.  And there was a widow in that town who kept coming to him with the plea, "Grant me justice against my adversary."

For some time he refused.  But finally he said to himself, "Even though I don't fear God or care about men, yet because this widow keeps bothering me, I will see that she gets justice, so that she won't eventually wear me out with her coming."
Luke 18: 1-5

I love that Jesus tells this story.  It is the type of story that help affirm the authenticity of the New Testament.  I know this much, if I were going to wash the NT of strange sayings, I would probably start by getting rid of this parable.  

Why?

I think this parable is very confusing for many well-intentioned people.  So many people think every parable is an easy morality lesson about how the Kingdom works.  Thus, they assume the judge must be God.  If we keep asking, he will eventually relent.  In the view of many, God is a being who is above the fray of human life.  God is rather indifferent, but he can be persuaded if we ask enough or in the right way.

This view of God is totally false!

Jesus tells this parable to explain how this world system works.  In his time, judges often did not care about justice.  They loved bribes.  They could rule as they wished.  They were government appointees with absolute power.  The amazing part is that such a person could be won over by persistence.  In other words, even in an unjust system,

sheer persistence got justice.

Jesus compares this evil judge with God.  God loves us.  He cares.  Unlike the judge, His very character declares what is just.  He will hear our cries for justice and He will bring it about.  God is the opposite in character of this evil, arbitrary judge.

Friends, I know it might not feel that way for you.  You might be praying about the same unjust situation for years.  To folks like you and I, Jesus says, "God will see that we get justice, and quickly."  

I know this much, I often wish justice and God's direct intervention would be quicker.  

I guess I have learned that God's purpose is often different than my desire.  I want to be done and over with unjust or even uncomfortable situations.  I want to be done with these situations ASAP.

God wants me to grow in dependence upon Him.  He wants me to grow so I trust Him.  He wants me to wait with complete confidence and calm.  In the midst of the struggle, walking in dependence means knowing everything will be O.K.  

The only way I can walk in dependence is to reject the false understandings of God's character.  He is not an unjust judge.  God loves and cares for us.  He loves and cares for you.  He will set all things right.  He will declare justice and truth.

While we wait, Jesus encourages us to not give up.  

Keep asking God for justice and for His intervention.  Then, praise Him when He answers your prayer.




No comments:

Post a Comment