Monday, July 13, 2015

How did you end up in Montana? Part 1

"I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord,
"plans to prosper you and not to harm you,
plans to give you hope and a future.
Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me,
and I will listen to you.
You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart."
Jeremiah 29: 11-13

"When God calls us to a task, we think the best way is a straight-line from A to B.
God's doesn't do straight lines.
When He calls us, He often works in zig-zags."
Pastor Nick, Faith Center, Great Falls, MT
First sermon we heard when we arrived in Montana 6/21/15

I am constantly amazed how God works.  His Spirit goes with us.  He leads.  He comforts.  He opens and closes doors.  He speaks from the storm.  He speaks in a still small voice.  He uses the wicked.  He uses the good.

Through it all, God builds our faith.  

His servants often walk through the wilderness.  We feel the sting of the hot dry wind blowing sand in our faces.  We long for a sweet cold drink of the fountain of life.  Then, we go over one more steep hill feeling we can't go any further.  We don't want to go any further.  As we crest the hill, to our complete surprise, we see the oasis of grace before us.

Our landing in Montana is like that.

When we left Maine three years ago, we left a great group of people, a place we loved, and a solid church.  In earthly terms, it was foolish to leave.  Yet, somehow we knew that God wanted us to leave.  It was time to hand it over to someone else.  In fact, His Spirit told me, "Just as I have greatly blessed, I can take away.  If you don't leave, I will make you leave.  It is time."  For the health of Grace Bible Church, it was time for me to leave.

Through God's leading, we ended up on Seattle.  We knew it was a high risk/high reward kind of place because the church had a very mixed history.  As we prayed about it, I felt the Lord saying that He would go with us and allow us to meet the people we need to meet for the next half of my ministry career.  I had no idea what that meant, but we went to Seattle.

While in Seattle, we preached the gospel and tried to help people grow in grace.  We loved seeing people come to know Jesus better.  We loved seeing new people embrace Christ, and some of the long-time members come to a real and solid understanding of Jesus's grace and love for them.

Alas,  there were also parts we did not enjoy.  In the end, we ended up getting hammered by those who had driven this churches mixed history.  It was painful, but I praise God He counted us worthy to suffer for the gospel.

Even before we arrived in Seattle, I remember telling folks we never intended to go to Seattle.  For many, Seattle is their dream/ideal ministry.  For us, Montana was our dream/ideal.   

Why Montana?  Most pastors and leaders don't want to come to Montana unless it is for vacation (in the summer).

M.E. and I felt since before we were married that we strongly desired to live in Montana.  

I remember talking about it, and we both shared Montana would be our first choice of where we wanted to live.  It is not like we did not try.  About fifteen years ago, we interviewed at a discipleship center that wanted to start in Montana.  We felt this group of people weren't ready to go, which proved to be true.  Yet, as we prayed about it, I remember clearly hearing from the Spirit, "Not yet.  You will come back."

Every time we had an open call, we would look to Montana.  Yet, how do you find a call when you have no connections?  Perhaps we should have just moved earlier.  Yet, I think the Lord has led us and grown us as people away from Montana so we are now ready for this stage in ministry.

Would you join us in praying this is the case?  Pray for the Lord's favor to be upon us.  Pray for grace to reach new people with the gospel and pray for some mature believers (but not trouble-makers!) to join us as we begin a new church.

One month ago we left Seattle for Montana.  It was sad saying a temporary good-bye to good friends.  Yet, in less than a month, this place feels more like home than any place we have ever lived.  I bless the Lord today for all His benefits to us!

Tomorrow I will describe how the Lord brought us to this opportunity.  It is another story of His providential leading.  I will also leave you with a picture of our beautiful state.




No comments:

Post a Comment