Friday, January 16, 2015

Farewell my friend, Matt Yukon

Yesterday, I got the call I was dreading for the past couple of months.  My good friend Matt Yukon died from cancer.  He was 45 years old.  

Words can not do justice to the pain of such a loss.  My heart goes out to his wife Dee and his two young children, Angelina and Lincoln.  He was a great pastor and lover of people.  I know I am not the only one feeling like the world is a bit less bright today.

Matt and I met in the old gym at Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary.  We quickly struck up a friendship based upon a love for Jesus, a desire to get to know Him more, and an obsession with helping others know God's grace.  For three years, we met together weekly, engaged in numerous adventures, and razed each other about our sports teams (and everything else).  When we graduated, we kept in touch, did ministry together, listened to each other's sermons, and encouraged each other in life and ministry.  He was such a good friend, he even helped me move twice.

I am really going to miss him.  True friends are so hard to find.  As he affirmed in our last phone call, he knew I would be there for him no matter what, and I know he felt the same way.  Even this fall, as he struggled with his cancer and knew this end was a strong possibility, he promised and I am sure fulfilled his promise to pray daily for my life and changing ministry situation.

Please join me in praying for his wife Dee, who continues to fight against stage four breast cancer that developed four years ago while she was pregnant with Lincoln.  Pray for God's grace and provision.  Pray for her healing and for a great response to the continuing chemo and treatments.  Pray for the many who will grieve the death of a good man who died way too soon.

Farewell my friend.  I am glad the pain and struggle is done.  I look forward to meeting again.  Save a spot for me on your basketball team.





I know he was from New York, but the Yankees?  Please.  (He also loved the Cowboys)




No comments:

Post a Comment