Monday, August 27, 2012

Tending the inner fire...


Be still, and know that I am God.
I will be exalted among the nations,
I will be exalted in the earth!
Ps. 46:10

It is Monday.  I always have the feeling that I said too much on Sunday when I wake up on Monday.  The desert fathers often spoke about how when we open our mouth, the flame of the Spirit escapes.  Their suggestion was to shut your mouth, be still before God, and allow the Spirit to flame high again.

Pastors have a huge occupational hazard that we speak too much!  At least this pastor does.  On Monday, I often feel tired and I run through my mind all the worthless words, illustrations, and phrases I uttered.  I ask the Lord would take away that which was not of Him so that people will be built up in Christ.  On Monday mornings, I often doubt whether He could do such a thing through me!

When I am emotionally, physically, and spiritual spent, I need to "Be still, and know that He is God."  He will be exalted.  He can and will use me.  He can and will use you.  He is amazing.

Today, I plan to shut my open mouth and receive from the Lord His grace and mercy.  I know I will still utter many words today, but I also know I need Jesus to re-ignite the flame.

Resting in the presence of God is so needed.  It is also so hard- at least for me!  I know my heart runs against trust, rest, and being still be my God.  So often make it all about me!

Most folks return to work today.  Their lives will be filled with words.  I encourage you to take a moment to ask the Holy Spirit to burn brightly with you.  Make a plan this week to have a day, a morning, an hour where you consciously talk less and listen more.  May the Lord fill this time so as to re-ignite the flame of true life!

Lord have mercy upon us and show us Your beauty so our hearts will be captured by You.  May our trust and rest flow from a deep-seated knowledge that "You are God!"

No comments:

Post a Comment