Thursday, August 16, 2012

Changing Habits by Changing the Heart

I am currently on a diet.  I really hate being on a diet!  I like to eat because I enjoy food.  Being on a diet means I do not get to eat all the types and quantities of food that I would wish.  For me, being on a diet is no fun.

Yet, I need to lose some weight so I can be healthy.  Since discovering my gluten issues, I have put on a few too many pounds.  Now I need to lose about 30 pounds to get back to the weight I was when I got married at age 22.  What happened?  For the first time in memory, my body actually digests food, so I cannot eat 4000 calories a day and stay the same weight.  I also changed the way I eat.  Since wheat is out, corn and potatoes entered the picture.  All I can say is that they do not feed corn and potatoes to fatten up livestock for no reason!

What is really needed?  I need to change my habits.  In order to change my habits, I need to have my heart changed.  I know from the past that my will-power will not work through the many weeks needed to lose 30 pounds.  I will need plenty of grace to help me make it!


So, how will I change and how do any of us change?  In my experience, it takes three days to make most surface changes.  To change your diet, three days.  To change exercise patterns, three days.  Three days of will-power and you can change many patterns.  The key is that you really have to want to change.  

I also have found that three weeks of pattern change often changes our character.  In other words, keep doing what you change for three days for three weeks and you will find your desires for the old behavior are lessened.  

Many say they want to lose weight.  Yet, they eat horribly.  The reality is that they like junk food more than they wish to lose weight.  Three days and you can change patterns!  Three weeks and you are different!

If you fall off the wagon, remember it is only three days of will-power.  Remind yourself of your goal.  Stop yourself from your destructive patterns for three days.  On day four, it will be easier!

So where does God fit into all this?  I ask Him constantly for the will-power to make it three days!  I talk with Him constantly about my desire to give up the chips for better health.  I ask Him to change my desires.  In other words,

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart,
and do not lean on your own understanding.
In all your ways acknowledge Him,
and He will make your paths straight." 
Proverbs 3: 5-6 

In the process of making surface changes, I also ask the Lord to help me see why I do what I do.  What really motivates me?  What truly causes my surface sins?  I have to admit the answers to these questions are often elusive.  I need God to reveal what is going on under the surface.

Let me give an example.  Why do you eat wrong foods?  There are probably many reasons.  Some just like food.  Some like the sugar rush.  Some are too lazy to make good food so they grab what is convenient.  Yet, others eat too much and get very fat because they hate themselves and their body?

How do we change?  So much depends on what causes the behavior!  Some of these issues can be cured with will-power and the three day trick.  Others are much deeper and more difficult.  These folks need the gospel to deal with their heart.

I have found that so many folks believe deep down that they deserve to be fat and unattractive.  Such a belief is both untrue and destructive.  In Christ, it needs to be identified, confessed, repented of, and the truth of the gospel needs to be applied.  At this point, you may need help of a trusted friend or counselor to help apply the love of God to your heart.

So how do we change?  Ask the Lord for mercy, grace and a change of heart so we can have the will-power to change some basic habits.  Remember in three days you can change many habits!

Also, ask the Lord for mercy and grace to see that your surface behaviors/sins are caused by a heart that needs grace.  In my walk with God, I use the three day will-power trick to force myself to come before the Lord in repentance and then faith.  By day four, it is much easier to come into His presence in repentance and faith.  My guess is that such behavior also could help you!  Remember, in three weeks you will find changes to your heart.

Remember growth is a process.  Real heart change often takes time and there will be ups and downs.  If you fall off the wagon, repent and begin again.

Every day is a new day of grace!

No comments:

Post a Comment