Thursday, April 19, 2012

Vacation, Revival, and Sabbath Rest


And He said to them, "The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath."
Mark 2:27

As a family, we are enjoying a great time at the beach with our extended family.  It is the first real "going somewhere" vacation we have had in several years.  We are here to celebrate my in-laws 50th anniversary and our 20th anniversary.  After five days, I am really starting to relax.  It reminded me of my childhood.

When I was growing up, we would take three- or four-week vacations to the beach in Michigan.  Generally, the first week we would run all over the place.  It was hard to slow down!  Then the second week we would relax totally.  All we could do is sleep.  Finally, the third week was one of enjoyment.  The stress was gone, we were caught up on rest, and we felt like ourselves again.

Why is this the case?  I do not believe the human nervous system is made to go all the time.  I think one of the major causes of illness in the West today is our lack of true rest and separation from the normal stresses of life.  We never allow our nervous system and body to rest.

What do I mean?  When was the last time you even heard of someone taking a three- or four-week vacation?  We take Thursday and Friday off, go on an action packed four night cruise, and we claim we had a vacation.  In such a case, it is more likely we enjoyed gluttony than a true rest!

In the past, people went on holiday for a month.  As a family, they went somewhere to get away.  This time and space allowed their bodies to rest and recuperate.  Why did we lose this cultural practice?

Jesus often spoke about the importance of rest in the human life.  He taught that we should obey the command concerning the Sabbath not merely because it "pleases God" but because we need it!  In fact, God's command was for our benefit (like all of them are).  

What is the Sabbath?  It is setting apart one day in seven to rest, set aside the normal activities of life, and to grow in trust in God.  

How do we grow in trust in God?  Keeping the Sabbath is a good start.  Working non-stop illustrates a profound lack of trust in God to provide and work apart from our labors.  When we cannot "shut-it-down" we live as one apart from Christ.  We prove we trust more in our actions than in God.

But what about all the people who need me?  What about all the work demands?  Friends, are you really that necessary?  Can God not take care of these folks and these demands?  Of course He can!  Trust that He will do so!

I think real vacation should be the same.  While we have not gone anywhere the past couple of years because of financial reasons and because we own a farm, we have taken at least two weeks straight of rest and vacation.  Typically I have played in the yard with my kids, fished, rested, and just turned my eyes back to Jesus.

These extended times of rest have quieted my "inner dialogue" that always seems to grow over the course of a year.  Do you have the same inner dialogue?  The voice inside my head that runs through all the bad conversations and the relational hurts as well as my needs, my wants, and desires.  Generally right before vacation, this voice dominates my life!  By the end of vacation, peace, quiet, and a resting in God is my new rule.

So where are you in life?  Do you need to begin the practice of taking a true Sabbath rest?  Work it in this week!  Do you need to take a real vacation?  Start making plans!

Perhaps the reason you are not experiencing revival and renewal is your schedule does not allow space for God to quiet you and transform you by His grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment