Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Finding and Enjoying God's Presence


The wonderful and long vacation is now over.  I so enjoyed being away, but I also enjoyed a good night's sleep in my own bed last night.  After 3500 miles of driving, I am back home.

Why was vacation so wonderful?  It provided a space and a place for me to be still before the living Lord.  We stayed right on the beach, so I went to sleep hearing the breakers roar, and I woke up each morning hearing the breakers roar.  For a week, I watched the tide come in and the tide go out.

I found it so refreshing to think that I can do nothing about the tide.  Even though I am 1300 miles away from that home on the beach, the tide still comes in and goes out.  Even as my first ancestors arrived on these shores hundreds of years ago, so the tide come and goes.

There is a God in this universe.  I am not this great God!  Neither are you.  Why do I forget this truth so much?  Why do I believe I must work and labor to make all right since God is not doing it?  I worry and think about so many things, but it would be wiser to rest in the living God's strength.  Just like the tides, He will work His purpose and will.  I praise Him for His goodness and mercy.

So, what did I learn or should I say relearn?  Rest and believe.  Trust and know.  Enjoy His presence and all goes well.

This reminds me of a quotation from David Adam in his book called The Road of Life.  Adam was the Vicar on the Holy Island of Lindisfarne for 13 years.  This island has been a Christian retreat center/monastery almost 1500 years, and it is the destination for many seeking peace and the presence of God.  

Adam was discussing how we as humans always bring our sin tendencies with us.  Even on "retreat" or a vacation, we can find our mind thinking about our issues instead of focusing on the living God.  As he states,

Often people come to the Island for peace; some are fortunate but others find they are the same on the Island as they were at home.  I try to persuade such people to give up seeking peace.  Do not look for a present, look for the Presence.  In seeking peace we are like the child playing with the box and the wrappings while ignoring the real gift.  We may get deep delight from peace, but there is a far greater gift offered.  God offers himself to us.  God is willing to walk with us, to listen to us, to care for us.  When God is recognized, when we abide in his presence, we also receive the gifts we sought.  God says, 'My presence will go with you and I will give you rest' (Ex. 33.14).  In this world the only lasting peace we will find is in his presence.  
p. 97

I could not agree more!  Yet, I find so many who do not know how to come into the presence of God.  They "feel him" in worship, so they become worship junkies.  They "feel him" in nature, so they become nature junkies.  Others "feel him" at the beach, so they always go to the beach!  There is a great problem with this.  

Like any addict, the effects of the outside stimulus diminish over time.  God is not "felt" in worship like He was.  So, we trade churches looking for a new high.  We do not see him in the same old natural places, so we look for new activities and new places.  We might become a thrill seeker.  We do not find him at the same place again in the same way, so we look for a new and better vacation spot.

God's presence is found when we seek Him in humility.  When we repent and come naked before Him asking for mercy and depending upon Christ, His presence is found.  With His presence comes peace and life-changing power.

As a pastor, I often come at this issue in the opposite direction.  Do you lack life-changing power?  Do your addictions to sin and self dominate your life?  The power to break sin only comes in the presence of God and by His grace.  You cannot use God as a self-help motivator.  You must enter His presence and allow Him to work as He wishes.  He will put away sin and He often leads us in ways we would not naturally go.

Seek His presence today.  In quietness, repent of your sin.  It might take time.  You have much clutter in your mind and heart!  Ask the Lord to put it in order or to take it away.  Begin the journey with the true source of power and peace.  Seek His presence!

No comments:

Post a Comment