Saturday, September 3, 2011

Yard Sales, Weekends, and the Grace of God

It is a beautiful Saturday morning in Maine.  We are ready to enjoy a great Labor Day weekend, albeit a weekend marred by the revelation that no net jobs were created in August in America!  Economically, it does look like recovery summer 2 was another bust.

In keeping with the economic theme, today we have day two of our yard sale.  We have too much junk, too many children's clothes, and a few expensive farm toys to sell.  The extra money would be great as we move into the fall and winter in Maine.  I still have my heating oil to purchase, so Lord provide some more cash!

One benefit of doing a yard sale is meeting people.  Yesterday I met all kinds of different and unique people.  One guy told me I had too many kids because the real problem in the world is overpopulation.  His life was was as an ecologist, so he was the expert.  He believe in two children and no more.  Of course he and his wife had three, but why argue over details.  

Another fellow was an African-American man who moved to down-east Maine to retire and start an organic farm.  I so appreciate his heart, and I do pray he comes to our church!  Still, I wonder how he deals with the awful racism that marks much of Maine.  This is a state full of uneducated white folks.  In the country many of them have not been around other cultures or races, so they believe and express an accursed racism and arrogance toward outsiders.  I pray for his efforts and for his soul!

On the weekends, my readership often diminishes.  I just wanted to drop a short post to ask for prayer for the yard sale.  May the Lord bless our long weekend holiday here in the States, and may our yard sale be a huge success!

No comments:

Post a Comment