Monday, April 13, 2015

The Sluggard (and it might be us)

"I passed by the field of the sluggard, and by the vineyard of the man lacking sense;
and behold, it was completely overgrown with thistles,
its surface was covered with nettles, and its stone wall was broken down.
When I saw, I reflected upon it; I looked and received instruction.
'A little sleep, a little slumber, a little folding of the hands to rest.'
Then your poverty will come as a robber, and your want like an armed man." 

Pro. 24: 30-34

I love the book of Proverbs.  It is a storehouse of wonderful practical wisdom.  As a book, Proverbs is a book in the OT located just after the Psalms.  It is a very practical book that gives pithy statements of general truth.  In the ancient near eastern cultures, such statements amounted to important cultural intelligence.  To know these proverbs well and to apply them in life illustrated good education.  Solomon was the wisest man in the world because he knew, composed, and passed on these proverbs.

I have met this sluggard Solomon wrote about in Proverbs 24.  I have known him in every church I ever served.  This sluggard, whether a man or a woman, often wants much in life, but they just lack the energy to do anything about it.  It is not like their intentions are wrong or bad.  They merely lack the ability to put any plan into action that will help them achieve their desires.

I have seen the sluggard lose everything.  I have seen people who literally live in homes that are falling apart on a piece of property that is falling apart.  I have also seen folks who desire a better relationship with their spouse or children, yet they spend all their spare time doing nothing but watching sports on TV.  I have witnessed people who eat themselves to poor health and even death because they lack the will-power or desire to begin to exercise and change their eating habits.

I have also closely observed folks who do none of the above, yet have definite sluggard tendencies.  I know first-hand that one can be a sluggard by not following the leading of the Holy Spirit.  I am afraid that all too often, I am that type of sluggard.

How so?  

I have a horrible tendency to put off to tomorrow what I could do today.  Each of us are given 24 hours to live each day.  No one has more time than others.  So why do some of us get more done than others?  They use their time wisely.  As I look back on the first half of my life, I sure have wasted a ton of my God-given time.  I have spend it on amusements, laziness, and non-Kingdom based activities.  I have folded my hands in rest and said to myself, "Tomorrow I will start."

The problem is that tomorrow never comes.

When I was a kid, we had an old bar called the Trading Post where we loved to eat dinner.  It had great food and homemade pies.  It also had a sign outside that said, "Free Beer Tomorrow."  If asked about it, the owner would say, with a sly smile on his face, "Come back tomorrow and all the beer is free."

Tomorrow never comes.

Take the five minutes to start that new project today.  Be in motion for the Kingdom.  Call that friend the Lord lays upon your heart.  Do not put it off!  As you follow the Lord's leading He will give you more strength to face the day.

Our characters are formed by repeated choices.  We can be transformed by God's grace and by asking the Spirit to apply what we hear from the living God.  Ask Him to use you.  You will be amazed what He can do.

"Now to Him who is able to do exceedingly abundantly beyond all that we can ask or think, 
according to the power that works within us, to Him be the glory..." 

Ephesians 3: 20-21


No comments:

Post a Comment