Tuesday, May 6, 2014

The Fire and Death of Anger

William F. May gives the name of Hatred to the sin of Anger, to emphasize that it takes hold of us "in the highest reaches of the mind," that it becomes an obsession, that once it has taken hold it endures.  The point is important, but Hatred is the wrong word.  Hatred is not the same as Anger, although it is a large component of it.  It is often one (but only one) of its motives, and is unavoidably one of its consequences.  If we are to give Anger another name, to emphasize its character, we should stick to the family of its close relatives.  We may call it Wrath, which carries the same suggestion of an obsession, of something that consumes us, not the flash of lightening, the sudden clap of thunder, but a burning in us like a banked fire.  Wrath is a fixation.  Its eyes are set on the object of its anger.  It devours itself and others.  It lays waste.  A modern symbol of it is the policy of the scorched earth in war.

We think of Anger in terms of fire: blazing, flaming, scorching, smoking, fuming, spitting, smoldering, heated, white hot, simmering, boiling, and even when it is ice-cold it will still burn.  It has been called the Devil's furnace, and other sins will fuel it.

Henry Fairlie, The Seven Dead Sins Today, 89.

I first read Fairlie's book in the early 1990s.  Since that time I have used it as a text in teaching systematic theology, and I have recommended it many times.  This book is an excellent and deep portrayal of sin in the modern world.  I am amazed how a book written in 1978 for an obviously academic audience can remain insightful.  I guess I should not be amazed since the character and effects of sin have not changed!

At different times in my life, I have been a very angry person.  For example, when my dad died I was obsessed with my loss and why it happened.  I remember clearly waking up at night from a dream with my teeth clenched and my blood pressure up.  I wish this only happened once, but it occurred several times.  Even my sub-conscience mind was angry.  

Perhaps a little background might help explain this anger.  My dad died because he had really given up the desire to live.  Because of the pain and hurt he had experience, he ate himself to death.  Now knowing some of my health issues, I believe he suffered from the same malady, which helped sap his desire to live.  At the time, I did not know this.  Instead, I ran over in my head all the ways that by dad had been hurt.  I knew I missed him greatly.  I was mad at all who had caused him pain.

Meanwhile in my own life, I was going through a very difficult period.  I was in my Ph.D. program and preparing for exams.  I had an emotionally and mentally abusive new faculty member who delighted in tearing me down.  Like most graduate students, we had extreme financial pressures.  Pressures from outside and loss weighed me down.

Through it all, I found within myself a consuming anger: fuming, smoldering, simmering, with the occasional white hot and boiling moments.

The problem with anger is that it poisons the well to all relationships and all of life.  Anger casts out love, diminishes faith, and colors every area of life with the very flames of hell.

No wonder anger has been called the Devil's furnace!

Honestly, I do not know if I have ever gotten over it even though people do not tell me anymore "You are really an angry person."  Anger mars the soul.

How did I deal with it?  

First, I had to recognize it.  I could not see it.  I believed my anger was "justified," not only over my dad, but in all areas of my life.  As such, I was displaying "righteous" anger.  Can you see how my pride got involved!  

The Holy Spirit had to use life, others, and His still small voice to confirm my problem with anger.  I was so angry when He did this!  Then as the consequences became more apparent, I was appalled, ashamed, and at the end of my rope.  I had no power to change.

So, I cried out for mercy.  I repented of my sin and confessed my inability to change my angry heart.  I found I truly needed a savior.  I am so thankful that Jesus answered my prayers by lavishing His love upon me.  

Slowly He quieted the fire.  I wish I could testify that I was transformed instantly, but it took time to find healing.  In fact, now that I know what anger looks and feels like, I find it is something I have to constantly repent of and seek Jesus' help to deal with.

In some Christian circles this would illustrate weakness.  I think it illustrates maturity and growth.  Like a "recovering" alcoholic I have many days of anger sobriety, but I now know this tendency is always within me.  All of my other sin tendencies can feed it and bring it back into flame.  As a result, I need to keep close to Jesus and have Him tend my soul!

So what about you?  I have met many believers who are marked by anger.  Mentioning it to them brings denial and "righteous" anger toward your presumption.

Is that you?  Is this your mark?

We live in a fallen world.  It is not fair.  It is often cruel.  It is filled with pain and abuse.  The key is to allow Jesus to transform you so you do not promote unfairness, cruelty, and more pain and abuse.  If you do not deal with the Devil's furnace, it is more than likely that you are passing on more fallenness than grace, no matter what you claim to believe.

Repent of your very real sin and believe in Jesus Christ as your only hope.  Ask Him to love the anger right out of you.  Ask Him to watch over those places within you where anger can come back to life.  He will do so.  He loves you so much.



No comments:

Post a Comment