Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Stress, Community, and Friendship

Be at rest once more, O my soul,
for the Lord has been good to you. 
Ps. 116: 7

I have been reading an interesting book on the consequences of stress on the human body.  In particular, the author was commenting on the relationship between bad stress, which raised various "flight or fight" hormones in the body, and heart disease.  He argued that feeling trapped in a job or a situation where you feel powerless leads to increased stress chemicals in the body, which eventually lead to heart disease, strokes, and other major problems (such as death).   To me, all of this makes sense.  The question is how do we avoid such stress?

To begin, we should make some obvious life-style changes.  If you are in a job that makes you feel trapped and not respected, change.  Also, increase your exercise levels as this makes a major positive change in the body's response to stress.  He also recommended the drinking of wine with dinner, as moderate alcohol consumption has been shown to lower the stress chemicals in the body.  If you have listened to the news, all of these positive factors have been mentioned for quite some time even in popular media.  These are changes that we can and should make!

What I found interesting was his emphasis on developing good social networks and friends.  He observed several groups of people with what we would call horrible eating habits who have very low levels of heart disease.  He argued that these people have one thing in common: they are well integrated into a community where they have love, support, and fun.  

In the past thirty years, studies have shown that Americans increasingly are not integrated into authentic communities.  We isolate ourselves from others while retreating into time with only our families.  I believe we do so to our own harm!  The problem is that friendship and community take time to develop and nurture.  With all the kid's activities, work responsibilities, and general busyness of life, how do we find the time to develop and nurture friendships?

First, we have to admit and confess that we need real friends and community.  We need to ask God to help us find real friends and true community.  Most of us do everything we can to live in denial of our need for others.  We remain so busy, and we allow our children to be part of every activity under the sun so they are not deprived.  Even at church, we go and leave without really engaging people.  This is one great draw of the large church in that it facilitates the "feelings" of having many friends and fellow travelers without causing real engagement with others.  I believe it is also the draw of Facebook and other social networks that promote "connectedness" without really helping us connect.  We need real friends!

Second, we have to be intentional in searching for friendships and community.  We have to find people that we can "be ourselves" around.  Wow is this hard!  Where would we find such people?  How about in our church communities?  This presupposes that we will develop church communities that are not fake or shallow.  Places where it is O.K. to be known with all of our issues, needs, and strengths.  We will find people in these churches that we do not "click with," but we should continue to search until we find folks who will love us and relate to us where we are.  Again, ask God for wisdom in finding friends and companionship!

Third, we have to continue to develop and nurture friendships and community.  This takes commitment on our part and on our friends part.  Get together and laugh.  Enjoy time together not necessarily "doing stuff" but being.  I think this is becoming a lost art.  True friendship and community is found in spending time.  In today's age, time is our most precious commodity.  We horde it to our own detriment.  Spend time with friends and lower your chances of heart disease!

With that in mind, I am thankful for a week of rest in the midst of the holidays.  Time with friends.  Time to laugh.  Time to be myself.  I pray each of us enjoy these same blessings!

2 comments:

  1. First off I would like to say fantastic blog! I had a quick
    question in which I'd like to ask if you do not mind. I was curious to find out how you center yourself and clear your
    head before writing. I have had difficulty clearing my mind in getting my thoughts out there.
    I do enjoy writing however it just seems like the first 10
    to 15 minutes are usually wasted simply just trying to figure out how to begin.
    Any recommendations or hints? Thanks!

    Take a look at my web site :: anxiety attack in children

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thank you for the kind words. In response to your question, I try to write about what I am thinking about. I am a person that formulates thoughts in my head and then when I sit down write what I already thought through. Then, I have to proof-read, proof-read, proof-read.
    I began this blog to give me practice in writing. Now I need to translate this practice into larger works. The irony is that even thinking about doing this leaves me in the same place you mentioned. I think the answer is just to write yourself clear. We can always delete stuff we don't like!
    Hope that helps.

    ReplyDelete