Monday, August 12, 2013

Experiencing the Nearness of God


"This extra 'glimpse of God' is what most of us crave.  With any experience of God's nearness comes all the blessings of God's divine nature: renewal, power to change, deliverance, comfort, joy, and peace.  It is no coincidence that these are the very things for which the world is longing and searching." Sally Morgenthaler, Worship Evangelism, 97-98.

Monday, bloody Monday.  I know the feeling of Monday morning is coming after a busy Sunday, but I am always amazed at the weariness Monday morning brings as I serve as a pastor.  It is unlike anything I ever experienced as a professor, a teacher, or any other occupation.  I am glad to know that I am not alone, as many other pastors have expressed feeling the same way.  Thankfully, I schedule to work, but I plan to work slowly on every Monday!

What do you think about the quote at the top of the page?

Morgenthaler's argument is that worship should bring us to this place.  If it does, it is attractive to both believers and unbelievers.  The question we should ask is whether people come in contact with the living God while in worship.  Personally, I think this is a great question.

I have served at churches and I prayerfully am leading First to be a place where everyone- long-time attenders, visitors, new believers, skeptics, and anyone who walks through the door- experience the presence of God in worship each week.  

Why?  Because this is our greatest human need and longing!

I know I am going against "popular" Christian thought, but I believe on the evidence of scripture and creation that experiencing and enjoying God's presence is our greatest need.  Of course, the only way to truly enjoy the presence of God is to know Jesus Christ as one's savior and Lord.  Yet, unbelievers can "taste" the presence of God even though they cannot understand it when the Spirit is moving.

In other words, worship is vital to a healthy Christian life because it should lead us into the presence of God.

So, what if we take these thoughts in a different direction.

We long for the grace of God and thus His presence.  We know we need it.  Why don't more of us figure out how to achieve this?  Why don't we give everything we have to be in the presence of God?  

I think we need more "believers" to come into the presence of God.  I believe that tasting the mercy of God's life-changing grace drives us to want more.  We know we are lacking something good when we do not have it.  We might substitute other objects, people, sins, experiences for our greater good, but none of these satisfy.  

Why are so many people then satisfied?  Why are so many people, even and particularly believers, not abandoning anything that gets in the way of knowing the grace of God?

Perhaps because many do not know there is something better?  Perhaps because the comfort of religion feels better than the wildness of meeting with God?  Perhaps because our greatest need is true revival?

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment