Monday, December 10, 2012

The Fine Line of Ministry Leadership


"When a pastor primarily feeds, people enjoy the church but lack a corporate sense of destiny.  They graze comfortably in the valley and never climb to new heights.  The church has a warm fuzzy feeling, and people enjoy the inspiration and fellowship, but they're not trying to achieve anything.  Sheep don't want to climb mountains.  They're happy as long as they have a patch of grass.

If a pastor emphasizes leading, on the other hand, he or she may drive the sheep into the ground, pushing them up the mountain without allowing them to stop and eat.  If the flock makes it to the top, they're dizzy with weariness, and the burnout quotient increases.

I want to be the warm and gentle pastor who comforts and the visionary leader who challenges.  I've found, although difficult at times, it's possible to do both."

Jack Hayford, "How to Lead and Feed," found in Who's in Charge? Standing Up to Leadership Pressures, 28.

As the calendar churns toward Christmas, my thoughts turn toward the new year.  It has been the same every year that I have been a pastor.  The change in the calendar provides a new start.  It is always a good time to change personal or corporate direction.

I have been at my new church, which is now just my church, for the past six months.  I have observed, learned their habits, seen their structure, and have a glimpse of their history.  Given all this information, now where do we go?

It seems that this should be a question that every pastor and every church asks often.  Yet, it is so easy to remain busy keeping the programs going, preparing for next week, meeting with the "urgent" needs of parishioners, and trying to find personal space amidst all the chaos.  With all of this going on, who has time for strategic planning, visionary prayer, and space to gain perspective on what God wishes for the future?

I often find the Christmas season to be just such a space!  What about all the programs?  What about all the special events?  Isn't Christmas the busiest time of year for pastors?

When I first started in ministry, the senior pastor of the church I grew up in offered me some great unsolicited advice.  I was working as a youth pastor of a huge church (3600 members) and helping to make ends meet by serving as the fill-in janitor of my home church as the full-time sexton recovered from an operation.  I shared how busy everyone was at the huge church.  I shared how everyone was stressed, how our staff meetings were strained, and how many programs were planned.

To this he said, "A good pastor does not change his plans and schedule by the church calendar.  You are called to preach and teach the Word of God, to love people in the gospel, and to point to Jesus.  While there might be some extra services, your weekly preparation should not change."

I was puzzled.  How could this be given what I was seeing at my first "real" job?

Now 20 years later, I can say that he was exactly correct.  The first Christmas and Easter were busy as I had extra messages to prepare; but after years of Christmases and Easters, I know what needs to be said.  In fact, the message of each holiday makes worship preparation easier not harder!

Thus, as we head toward Christmas, my thoughts turn to the next step of leadership.  I enjoy the illustration above because it helps give perspective on where we as a church should head next.

Do we have a warm, fuzzy feeling caused by inspiration and fellowship?  Are my leaders and people showing signs of weariness and burnout?

This is a tough one for me to answer because six months in, I think we lack the warm, fuzzy feeling caused by inspiration and fellowship and we have leaders who are showing signs of weariness and burnout.  Yikes!

How do I work to fix these twin problems?  I guess my task moving into the New Year will be to be a pastor to these folks so they get used to having a Shepard Leader as told by Jack Hayford.  I am glad I have time for prayer and reflection to figure out how to do this well as led by the Spirit.  Please pray for me!

How about your church?  How about your leadership team?  What about you as an individual?  

Have you drifted toward one pole or the other in the past year?  What can you do to regain balance?  What will help move the sheep to greener pastures found at greater heights?

I am thankful that the change of calendar also provides a space to change direction!  Don't let the busyness of life rob you of a chance for reflective growth.


No comments:

Post a Comment