Wednesday, October 24, 2012

What does Grace "Feel" like?


"Why are you cast down, O my soul,
and why are you in turmoil within me?
Hope in God; for I shall again praise him,
my salvation and my God."
Ps. 42: 5

Psalm 42 begins with the affirmation and cry, "As a deer pants for flowing streams, so pants my soul for you, O God.  My soul thirsts for God, for the living God.  When shall I come and appear before God?"

Last night I did not sleep much.  I have a cold.  I had muscle aches and a headache yesterday, but today it is merely a head cold.  As I got ready for bed, I went to the medicine cabinet to get something to help me sleep.  Instead of medicine, I found an empty box!  Today I feel loopy, weak, and not ready for primetime.

What effect does our health have on our spirituality?  I believe there is often a great tie between health and spirituality.  I affirm that some with chronic illness get past the pain and difficulties to maintain a healthy spiritual life, but our health and mental state makes a difference in how we "pant and thirst" for the Living God.

In the past couple of weeks, I have been asked and challenged on what it looks like to "pant and thirst" for the Living God.  I was not asked in those terms, but I was asked, "What will it look and feel like when I experience God's grace?"

I think this is a great question!  I also believe it is a question that does not have a simple answer.  Sometimes you will "feel" nothing.  Sometimes you will feel great joy.  At times you might find yourself experiencing the presence of God in all of your life.  At other times you will walk in what appears to be lonesome silence waiting for God to show up.  So much depends upon our circumstances, our place in the journey of relationship with God, and even our physical health.

In fact, what I "feel" about my relationship with God is not a good or reliable indicator of my relationship.  What I know in my heart and soul, with a knowledge that surpasses knowledge (Ephesians 3: 19),  because I have been touched by the grace of God so I can trust Him by faith is a much surer basis for our relationship than my feelings.

In other words, have you discovered that you are a sinner before the Living God who needs grace?  Only the Spirit can reveal that.  Moreover, have you come to trust Christ as your only hope for salvation and life because only His righteousness can bring you before God?  If so, only the Spirit can bring such faith.

Hold onto this faith as the foundation of your life.  Cultivate it.  Repent of the sin of unbelief in its many forms that the Spirit points out in your life.  Believe the promises.  Relish in them.  Be ravished by His mercy and love.  Our salvation and even our faith is about what Christ has done.  It is not about us, our actions, or our feelings.  Secure your soul to His work!

What will this feel like?  It depends!  Probably the most mature among us experience a quiet peace and settledness of mind that God's love is sufficient.  They rejoice when they experience it in abundance, and they hold fast with they feel scarcity of affection.

What does this mean?

Every week I have the privilege and calling to deal with folks who struggle with depression and anxiety.  I find these folks feel the same way I do when I am sick!  Their physical issues cause a spirit of dryness.

In Psalm 42, the Psalmist confesses that he has been crying and he feels taunted by those who ask, "Where is your God?"  I do not think these folks are mocking him, but saying, "Where is your faith?  Don't you know that God is faithful?"  How often as believers do we do the same to those who are struggling!  How often do we as believers beat ourselves up when we are struggling!

The Psalmist answers his doubts and struggles with an affirmation of the gospel.  He confesses where he is: struggling for his very life and faith!  He then reminds himself over and over again of God's faithfulness in the past.  He also affirms that this present reality of struggle will not last forever.  In fact, he affirms God's faithfulness by repeating the same verse twice in this Psalm.

Why are you cast down, O my soul,
and why are you in turmoil within me?
Hope in God; for I shall again praise him,
my salvation and my God.
Ps 42: 5 and 11

Please remember there is a direct tie between our health (physical and mental) and our spirituality.  Such a tie is a result of being embodied spiritual beings!  Jesus understands as he also was at times tired, emotionally drained, hungry, and deeply saddened.  Illness is not weakness.  It is a result of the Fall, but it is common to us all.

Thankfully, our feelings are not the basis for our relationship with God.  Christ's finished work is everything!  Even when you do not "feel like it" latch onto what God declares in His Word.  Claim the promises.  Walk through the valley.  The promises is that He will lead and guide us to the other side!

When struggling confess you are struggling and look to the gospel!  Remind yourself of God's past work and His promise of a good future.  Psalm 42 is a reliable guide for this part of the journey of faith.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the insightful comments.

    From NL, Canada

    ReplyDelete