Thursday, January 12, 2012

Community, Life, and Our Hurts


I recently had a sad discussion with a man about life in community.  He shared that he did not need community to grow in his relationship with God.  He was fine without others because he had his own opinions.

Unfortunately, the opinions he expressed were often strangely unorthodox in their understanding of God, Jesus, scripture, sin, love, life, and eternal life.  He also obviously lacked solid self-understanding.  

I am not trying to be judgmental!  Please understand that at heart I am a true libertarian.  I give plenty of room for each of us to believe and live as we see fit.  One reason why those outside the Christian faith like me so much is they know and experience this tendency within me.  Yet, by any measurement and even generous judgment of life and thought from a historic Christian perspective, this man's ideas did not match with or even come close to the mainstream.  As I reflect, it was a sad discussion!

I have found that those who refuse community, for whatever reason, often end up depressed and unorthodox in their thought.  I think this man was greatly disappointed with the Church because of a bad experience or a series of bad experiences.  Such experience are numerous in our society!  In fact, you might have had some of the same hurts by people within the Church.

I know in my life, I have had some horrible experiences with folks in the church.  The question I ask concerning these experiences was different than this man.  I asked, "Is this the church's problem or those people's problems?"  

Every time the answer has been individuals and not the glorious, universal Church!  Even if one local body goes strange and anti-Christian, this does not eliminate the importance of the Church and community.  I know I need others and the Church to experience true life.  Celebration needs community to be lasting, real, and life-changing.  I will end with a quote from David Adam.

"I have often found more joy and celebration among monks and nuns than I have among young people.  Maybe the religious have already struggled with their lives and come to terms with some of their own limitations and failings.  They have the benefit of affirming the love and presence of God each day within their community.  The lack of community for many of our young people, in not all of us, can make modern living very lonely.  In our journeying through life we need companions.  I often think upon some words from St John of the Cross: 'The soul that is alone is like a burning coal that is alone.  It will grow colder rather than hotter.'  To maintain enthusiasm, joy and love we need to be able to express them and share them in community.  To celebrate life we need to be with other 'burning coals'." David Adam, The Road of Life, 129.

May each of us seek out and find other burning coals that help us to grow deeper in repentance and faith!  May we find out way into true gospel- and grace-centered community.

No comments:

Post a Comment