Thursday, December 22, 2011

Advice to New Believers about the Bible Concluded

"Draw near to God, and He will draw near to you." 
James 4:8

"All scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, 
for reproof, for correction and for training in righteousness." 
2 Tim 3:16 

In yesterday's post, I presented a way of reading scripture and praying that I recommend for anyone who struggles with how to apply the bible to their every day life.  I know that there is much that can be confusing.  I also know that many folks have been led astray into believing very weird ideas that someone told them were scriptural.  Let's get beyond that!

No matter what others may do, each of us are responsible and called to develop a relationship with the Living God.  Sometimes, I do wish others could do it for me!  It does require that I desire such a relationship.  Sometimes I do not!

When this occurs, repent and ask the Holy Spirit to lead you into God's presence.  Remember that the promise of scripture still stands:  "Draw near to God, and He will draw near to you." James 4:8  The key is understanding how to draw near to the living God!

As I presented yesterday, this is where scripture and prayer draw us close to the Living God.  First and foremost, you might need to change the way you read the bible.  It is not a novel, but the active and living Word of God.  Read it reflectively, with an open heart and mind.  I also encourage you to read it while praying for wisdom and for God to give guidance (Pro 2:1-6 gives a good model).

In addition to the gospels, I also encourage folks to read in the Psalms and Proverbs.  The Psalms are located right in the middle of the modern bible.  These 150 Psalms are the OT prayer book.  They are model prayers, and they are great for focusing my thoughts and prayers toward God and toward gaining His perspective.  Prayerfully reading one or two a day will be plenty!  When you get to Psalm 119, it might even take three or four days!  (Ps. 119 has 176 verses!)

For over 20 years, I have also read a chapter in Proverbs each day.  There are 31 chapters, so one per day for a month works out great.  These Proverbs never grow old!  I find and have found much practical wisdom in their pithy statements of general truth.

Let me give an example of how to use the Proverbs to listen to God.  I began writing this post yesterday, but I realized it was way to long for a one day post.  Yesterday, as I read Proverb chapter 21 the Holy Spirit drew me to a verse at the end of the chapter.  As I was reading, not the most carefully I might add, this one jumped off the page.

"The horse is made ready for the day of battle, but the victory belongs to the Lord."

In prayer, I asked the Lord, what does this mean?  I was reminded of the busyness of this fall season.  There have been many trips to complete, pages to write, sermons to prepare, and decisions to make.  Overall, I have not been stressed or overloaded.  I am thankful for each opportunity that the Lord has presented.  I believe the Lord used me in building His kingdom as I interacted with many different folks.

So, what did I learn as the Lord brought this to mind?  First, He has prepared me, like a well-armored war horse for writing and the ministry.  I praise Him for this!  Yet, completion of writing and ministry always will be by His blessings, not my supposedly great preparation or abilities.  In fact, without His help, I can assure you nothing in ministry would succeed.  I cannot labor in such a way that I see lives ultimately changed.  My victory rests with the Lord.

I have learned this lesson many times, but I have to keep learning it.  I am forgetful.  I am drawn to repentance for the times I have walked in my strength instead of the Lord's.  I look to Jesus for mercy and grace.  I believe my victory and rest comes by walking with Him.  He gives me grace!  As it overflows, I am transformed so I can offer that grace to others.

Friends, our success in life or in coping with difficulties rests not in our strength- not even our "spiritual" strength and knowledge.  It rests in Jesus working in and through us, by His grace, to equip us, strengthen us, and empower us to be His witnesses in the world.  His power and grace comes as we repent of our self-effort and ask Him to work in and through us for His glory.

Second, I was challenged to remember that a grace-filled life must be a God-centered life.  It is not about me nor what I can do.  It is about the Lord and His grace working through a cracked and frail earthen pot!  May He receive the glory.

In encourage you to start the practice today of reflectively reading and praying through scripture!

"All scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction and for training in righteousness." 2 Tim 3:16

Sometimes we just need a guide to help us start understanding how all of scripture fits together!  You mostly likely cannot go wrong if you read through the very practical OT wisdom literature and the gospels!

No comments:

Post a Comment